Another theme for this Halloween countdown:
2016 is one of those years we will always remember for it’s tragic events, raising lack of humanity/ compassion for the most vulnerable in our society (and world).
But for me, 2016 will always be one of the mot important years in my life – it’s the year my son was born.
Thus a big change in my priority’s (and time/energy) leaving my sewing somewhat on the backwater.
And taking into account that I had a 6 months hiatus from sewing last winter(Oct 2015 – April 2016) there is a miracle I managed anything at all. But I did actually finish a few items both before and after my delivery in June.
And here they are:
Viscose 1790s Roundgown (both with and without baby-bump)
Jackets, bodys, pants, hats and rompers several of each.
A hat and shirt for a newborn
Henry VIII Costume
(not yet posted about)
I’ve also finished a few minor projects like, hemming skirts/pants, sewing curtains/pillows, adjusting dresses etc.
And as always I have a few things on their way which I didn’t manged to finish before the new year (but which hopefully will be completed in he following months).
Al in all I think I did pretty well with my 3 mayor project, which all has been on my wishlist for quite some time.
2 (or 3 months) ago, when deciding on projects for Halloween (Elizabeth I for me) I realizes that this would be the first (of many?) costumes I would make for my baby, and that I really wanted it to be special.
So what would I dress my chubby redheaded infant as for his first Halloween…?
The answer came to me pretty fast:
Hernry VIII – of course
Since this was to be a costume worn (once) by an infant I decided to make it as easy and wearable (read soft/comfy) as possible, using Jersey fabrics and omitting anything complicated (like slashes) or small/sharp (like beading and pearls).
I also decided it was totally acceptabel to cheat as much as possible 🙂
Then it was time for the actual sewing.
Then it was time for the main piece – the cape
The sleeves was made from rectangles stitched together, decorated and gathered at top and bottom. Ignore the wonkyness – I stitched this with my baby sleeping in the carrier on my belly, so not the best attention to detail.
This was such a fun project and I really love how the little coat/cape came out.
Once everything for my “Elizabeth I” was finished I dressed up for the photoshoot – which just happened to be on Halloween 🙂
Then I removed the regalia to try to resemble the cleaner, more innocent (?) look earlier in the movie, and the edgy cover photo.
To turn my Elizabeth I dress into something a bit more royal, I decided to make an ermine cape.
I originally wanted to make a coronation robe like the one my inspiration painting (below), but since I only got scraps left from the dress fabric, I opted for a simpler (and more theatrical/fake) style.
An hour later the cape was finished.
What: A fake Ermine cape
Pattern: I drafted my own.
Fabric & Notions: 0,5 m white fake fur, 30 cm black fur trim, thread, hook and eye.
Time & Cost: 2 hours (1 hours to attach the black fur pieces), about 100 Sek (10 Usd)
Final Thoughts: Not one of my finest works, but it will do for its theatrical purpose.
Here comes another batch from last years Halloween photoshoot.
This time we are doing the classical vampire in my Edwardian lingere getup.
Sadly I couldn’t get anyone to play Lestat, so we had to manage on our own 🙂