Something les gruesome (then yesterday), but still pretty suggestive and mystical:
Yesterday I did my hair, make-up and put on my 1930s Christmas dress, for the photoshoot.
I was a bit skeptical and a bit worried about getting any nice photos, since I didn’t like the fit of the dress at all.
But as my sister (photographer) said – “You seam to have lots of fun in this dress – perhaps you like it after all…”
And looking at the pics I can only say yes, I think I do.
You might have noticed my most un-regular posting this past week. The main reason for that are that I’ve been struggling to finish my by now late entry for challenge 22 – Modern history.
But now finally it is finished, and here comes a quick write up.
I decided to make a 1930s dress using a lovely plaid fabric I’ve bought a few years ago for another project.
I’ve started this project about a month ago and since my last update, I’ve fixed some problems and encountered some new.
I didn’t know what to do to fix it completely, but I ripped the zipper out, fussed on some interlining and hand stitched it back, making sure to shortening it as much as possible. It does look better but not near as good as it should.
I then finished the dress by stitching a bias tape to the inside of the neckline, hemming the skirt and making the belt and bow.
Just the facts:
Challenge: nr 23 – Modern History
What: a 1930s plaid dress
Pattern: I drafted my own based on the inspiration pic.
Fabric: 1,5 m of polyester plaid, 0,3m of white polyester satin and a scrap of black cotton velvet.
Notions: Thread, zipper, fusible interning, and bias tape used for facing.
How Historical accurate: So so. The look of it is about right, and the plaid is plausible but It should probably have been made in wool.
Time: Way to long! And its a miracle I finished at all with all the trouble I’ve had whit this dress.
Cost: Since everything came from stash it was practically free but If I would have bought everything new I probably have spent about 200 Sek (32Usd).
Fists worn: Dec 22 for a photoshoot. It was meant to be worn for Christmas, but I’m not totally convinced I can pull it of (guess I will decide after the photoshoot).
I’d planed to be finished with the 1930s Christmas dress by now, but life, work and karma apparently do not approve.
The good things:
I have yet another week left until Christmas, and have all confidence I will finish in time.
The not so good things:
I must have had a black out while pattern drafting since I decided to skipp the waist darts and only use the side seams for waist shaping. You would thought 10 years of pattern making for my curvy body would have tought me something about proper fitting to my shapes. I’m currently busy shortening the bodice length and adding darts to both bodice and skirt.
My design decision to change the bow at the waist to a belt, turned out to be more trouble then anticipated. Since the only store in out town with good sewing notions recently closed, and I couldn’t find anything I liked to a reasonably price on the internet. Guess the bow will have to do. Perhaps I can ad a separate belt later.
Lets get back to the sewing machine…
I’ve decided to make a 1930 gown for Christmas this year. I’ve got a pretty green and black plaid in a polyester blend which would look fabulous made into a slim dress (I hope).
Here are some of the dresses I’ve thought about before deciding.
But I finally picked this one. I love the sweet contrasting sleeves, the waistband and the modest neckline. And of course the simplicity of the pattern pieces and thereby the fabric pieces was the thing to sway me.