2 (or 3 months) ago, when deciding on projects for Halloween (Elizabeth I for me) I realizes that this would be the first (of many?) costumes I would make for my baby, and that I really wanted it to be special.
So what would I dress my chubby redheaded infant as for his first Halloween…?
The answer came to me pretty fast:
Hernry VIII – of course
Portrait by Holbein d.y. and the one I used as reference for my baby costume.
I started by taking a close look at the inspiration/reference pic, and flipping through the pages of “The Tudor Tailor” I found what I needed.
Male Tudor outfit.
Then I hit the fabric store in search for some suitable fabrics.Left to right: Brown fake fur (stash), burgundy/red singel Jersey, grey/silver printed Jersey, white knitted leggings and golden trim.
Since this was to be a costume worn (once) by an infant I decided to make it as easy and wearable (read soft/comfy) as possible, using Jersey fabrics and omitting anything complicated (like slashes) or small/sharp (like beading and pearls).
I also decided it was totally acceptabel to cheat as much as possible 🙂
My first move vas to get a pair of white leggings/tights from a well known clothing store.
Then it was time for the actual sewing.
I started with the body using a baby pattern I used previous and knew and liked. I stitched it up using my serger and a double needle on the edges.
The finished Body:I like that it is usable as a modern/regular piece on its own.
Next piece was the “skirt”, which was made from a lenght of fabric which I hemed and pleated to a elastic waistband.
The finished skirt:
Then it was time for the main piece – the cape
I cut a rektangel from the red fabric, folded it over cut it open at the front and pleated it at the shoulders. Then I stitched on some decoration.
The sleeves was made from rectangles stitched together, decorated and gathered at top and bottom. Ignore the wonkyness – I stitched this with my baby sleeping in the carrier on my belly, so not the best attention to detail.
Then I cut the fur collar from a piece of stash fabric.
Pining and stitching the fake fur to the cape.
The finished Cape:
Lastly I made a small hat/beret from a circle and a strip of black jersey.
The finished hat:
This was such a fun project and I really love how the little coat/cape came out.
Here’s some photos of my own prince wearing the outfit:
“Eat all the things…”
And some pics with the two of us together (Elizabeth I and Henry VIII)
Photos: Elin Evaldsdotter