About a month ago I decided I needed to make myself a 18th century cloak/cape
Sewing Empire made herself one of these too, and writes a good sumary about her work on her blog.
For fabric I used an old roll of red wool I got for free a few yers ago. The fabric are realy coarse and I never thougt I would ever be able to use it for anything, particularly not for a garment.
Just The Facts:
Challenge: nr 3/2015 – Stashbusting
What: a 18th century wool cape
Pattern: Baumgarters “Costume Close-ups” Cloak pattern
Fabric: 3 m of red wool (upholstery fabric) and 40 cm (scraps) of red linen for lining.
Notions: Thread and one hook and eye.
How historica accurate: So, so. The colour and look of it are right, but I doubt they would have used this type of coarse wool for anything other then isolation. I did handstitch the hole cloak but i used syntetic tread – since thats what I had in my stash. All in all I give it a 6/10.
Time: About 5-8 hours – it went pretty quick and only took me about a day to finish.
Cost: Basicly nothing – The fabric was gifted to me and the rest was all leftovers or old stash.
But if I would have bought everything new I guess 300-400 Sek (40Usd)
How it fits the Challenge: It is made completely from stash fabric and scraps. And since I never thought I’d be able to make something from the wool I’m extra happy that it turned out so lovely.
First Worn: On Feruary 28th, for photos.
Final Thougts: I Love it! I felt so pretty and coosy in it, and only wish I would have reason to wear it all the time.
And since I do have fabric left, I’m are already thinking on making one for my sister.