Posing in Panniers

It took a while, but this weekend I finally managed to get some pictures of my 18th century panniers which I made for the HSM15 – Foundation back in January.

IMG_5812

IMG_5811

IMG_5805

IMG_5829

IMG_5815And it’s collapsible too!

IMG_5841

IMG_5843I really love how they turned out,
and can’t wait to finish my robe a la Franchaise so I can take them on a proper outing.

Advertisements

1890s winter Undress

Here we go again, with a peek of my historic underwear:

1790s Winter LayersIMG_5760Fully dressed in Redingote, petticoat, belt sash, gloves and hat.

IMG_5768Taking of the accessorizes we can ses the Redingote in full.

IMG_5769Without the Redingote we can see all the white layers beneath – The skirt in full view and the fichu tucked inside the skirt.

IMG_5778Removing the skirt we find the petticoat and the complete fichu.
I also wear a quilted petticoat (you can spot the green waistband above the petticoats).

IMG_5791And underneath there is a bumpad, worn over chemise, stays, stockings and shoes.

Wood, Metal and Corsets

As the 19th HSF challenge Wood, Metal and Bone past by I feelt I needed to make something a bit more challenging then the Suffragett brosches I finished just in time.

An with a regency event coming up swifty, I decided it was time to make myself the 1820s corset I’ve been wanting since I bought a wooden busk half a year ago.

Here are some inspiration pictures:

hämta

a-wedding-corset-74890

ba8694ee1bdaa03c315f43bd2f88fb65

corset-49100

il_fullxfull_116590212

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

regency stays estabrooksdesign

Wives%20and%20Daughters%20stays

And the pattern comes from the trusted Norah Waughs “Corset and Crinolines” – A 1820s corset.

1820 waugh

I bought 0,5m of cream colored cotton sateen, and found some plain cotton sheet for the linnig and interlinning in my stash.

I dafted the patten, made some changes to the sizing and made a mock-up.

IMG_2179IMG_2185

I needed to raise the cups 1,5 cm and take them in 2cm a the top. And lenghten the shoulder straps.

IMG_2181I also needed to add 4-5 cm to the back pieces.

After drafting the alterations on the pattern, I cut and interlined all of the pieces.

I sewed the bust and hip gores, the boning chanels and set the gromets on the back pieces.

IMG_2198

Then I started on the decoration.

IMG_2193

By now I feelt I was running out of time (this was just a couple of hours before the event) and I needed to decide which ones of the decoration seams was the most neccessary – regarding both prettynes and function, though to the strengtening quality of the stiching.

IMG_2200

Then I made and attached the lining and putt the boning in to the chanels. I used bias-tape to bind the edges, and put a drawstring into the bias-casing in the front of the corset. Making it adjustable over the bust.

I finished sewing just in time, since I straight away needed to hurry to get dressed and on my way.

IMG_2284

IMG_2299

IMG_2292

IMG_2396

IMG_2404

IMG_2402

IMG_2399

IMG_2400

IMG_2412

IMG_2407

Just the facts:

Challenge: 19 – Wood, Metal and Bone.

What: A regency corset

Year: 1800 – 1830s

Pattern: Nora Waughs “Corset and Crinolines” – a 1920s corset.

Fabrics: 0,5 m of cream cotton sateen, 1 m of white cotton sheet.

Notions: One wooden busk, bias tape, thread, gromets, boning (cable-tie and plastic whalebone), lacing-cord and ribbon.

How historical accurate: Machine made with gromets and polyester thread. Butt the pattern, shape and the color are correct. Mabye 5/10.

Time: 10 hours (the evening before and the same morning as the event).

Cost: 200 Sek (22 Usd)(50 Sek, not counting stash).

First worn: On 28 sep “Mickelsmäss” (celebration of the harwest) where I was part of the dancing entertainment.

Final toughts: The corset do what it is supposed to (bust-wise), but I’ts not that comfortable. I almost got a cramp in my side/waist sitting in it for two hours. Mabye I need to change the fit.