And so it’s time to present the last (of my old, prevously compleated) HSF entrys. The Challenge nr 2: UFO – Un Finished Object.
As a novice in costuming I didn’t had many UFOs laying around. But I did however have a costuming piece, not yet started but, promised to my sister.
A 1700s corset.
I’ve already made her one in the previuos year, but it was noting but a mess. Lets take a look at my very first atempt at historic corset making.
I used a pattern from Jill Salens book “Corsets”.
Then I started to sew.
My sister is not particular big, and even after some serious skwezing the darn thing still didn’t fit her.
Now back to the UFO.
After I’ve promised my sister to make her an other corset, that would actualy fit her.
We trashed the old pattern, starting from skratch, and drew her a new one using Waugs “Corset and Crinolines” – 1790s corset pattern, and modified to fit my sister. I also took away the front lacing, and added tabs at the waist.
So I made a toile, fitted it and started on the corset itself. Since me and my sister lives in oposite sides of the country I didn’t have the chans to try it on her until it was finished.
This time I fixed it by ripping it open and inserting some godgets at the back seams.
Just the facts:
Challenge: nr 2 – UFO
What: A 1740-1780s corset
Pattern: Jill Salen “Corsets – 1780s corset” re-worked.
Fabric: 0,5 m of cotton print and 1m of white cotton lawn.
Notions: gromets, thread, lacing cord, cable ties and purple bias tape.
How Historical Accurate: Not really. The decorative printed corsets didn’t exist until 200 years later, and the sewing and construction are all modern. It does however give her the desired body shape. So maybe 2/10.
Time: 25 hours.
Cost: 200 Sek
First worn: At the photoshoot in february 2013.