For the HSF Challenge 3: Under It All, back in february, I decided to start the foundation on my planed 1550s dress (which I still haven’t gotten around to make).
So I decided to make a corset similar to theese two.
Using the corset pattern from “The Tudor Tailor”. I printed the pattern and made some changes to match my mesurments.
Then I cut the fabric, interlined it, and stiched the corset compleatly on the machine. I inserted the bonning, set the gromets and sewed on the bias-tape.
Unfortanly I didn’t think of documenting the steps while sewing (this was before my bloging days) so there are no construction photos.
But there are finished ones.
One thing I didn’t accounted for was the amount of fabric the bonning would “eat”. While inserting the bonning the corset shrunk quite a bit, and I ended up needing to do some piecing to make it fit properly.
When the corset was finished I decided to also make a shirt to wear underneath.
I used a lovely cotton voile, and sewed the shirt compleatly by hand (and still didn’t take any construction photos).
Finished Shirt and Corset.
Just the facts:
Challenge: Nr 3 Under it All
What: A 1550s Corset and Shirt
Pattern: Shirt – Janet Arnold “Patterns of Fashion 4 – c.1600-1610 smock. Corset – “The Tudor tailor” Dorothean bodies.
Fabric: Shirt – 2 m of checkered cotton voile. Corset – 0,5 m of leftover golden/yellow curtan-fabric, 1 m brown cotton for lining and interlining.
Notions: Shirt – Thread. Corset – Thread, Bias-tape, gromets, boning and lacing cord.
How Historical Accurate: Shirt – Completly hand sewn, but the cotton tread and fabric is not correct for the period. Corset – Not realy. The achived shape is just about right, but all the sewing and material is modern.
Time: Shirt – about 8 hours. Corset – 3 Days of work.
Cost: Shirt – 150Sek (16Usd). Corset – 300 Sek (40Usd).
First worn: Only at photoshoots so far.