A 1700s Corset UFO

And so it’s time to present the last (of my old, prevously compleated) HSF entrys. The Challenge nr 2: UFO – Un Finished Object.

As a novice in costuming I didn’t had many UFOs laying around. But I did however have a costuming piece, not yet started but, promised to my sister.

A 1700s corset.

I’ve already made her one in the previuos year, but it was noting but a mess. Lets take a look at my very first atempt at historic corset making.

I used a pattern from Jill Salens book “Corsets”.

1970 halvbenad1790 halvbenad 2

The fabric is a lovely cotton print (which I still love, by the way).IMG_4055

I even made her a design sketch.img235

Then I started to sew.

And this is what I came up with.CIMG5938

Ok, its not that bad for a first try- if you ignore the gromets.CIMG5951

CIMG5948

It acctualy look pretty decent…IMG_4044

IMG_4049IMG_4046

Until you realises how extremly smal it is.IMG_4053It wouldn’t even fit my size 36 dressform.

My sister is not particular big, and even after some serious skwezing the darn thing still didn’t fit her.

We did get some pretty picture though.ghf

DSC_0777 And the minute we where done photograping, the whole thing whent straight into a box in the basement.

The pocket hoops are made from Waughs pattern and still works perfectly.1760 pocket hoop waugh

***

Now back to the UFO.

After I’ve promised my sister to make her an other corset, that would actualy fit her.

We trashed the old pattern, starting from skratch, and drew her a new one using Waugs “Corset and Crinolines” – 1790s corset pattern, and modified to fit my sister. I also took away the front lacing, and added tabs at the waist.

So I made a toile, fitted it and started on the corset itself. Since me and my sister lives in oposite sides of the country I didn’t have the chans to try it on her until it was finished.

Looking much better.halloj-116

But it is still to smal!halloj-119

This time I fixed it by ripping it open and inserting some godgets at the back seams.

CIMG6587

The finished corset.IMG_1827

DSC_0362

DSC_0374

DSC_0379

IMG_1854

DSC_0382

Just the facts:

Challenge: nr 2 – UFO

What: A 1740-1780s corset

Pattern: Jill Salen “Corsets – 1780s corset” re-worked.

Fabric: 0,5 m of cotton print and 1m of white cotton lawn.

Notions: gromets, thread, lacing cord, cable ties and purple bias tape.

How Historical Accurate: Not really. The decorative printed corsets didn’t exist until 200 years later, and the sewing and construction are all modern. It does however give her the desired body shape. So maybe 2/10.

Time: 25 hours.

Cost: 200 Sek

First worn: At the photoshoot in february 2013.

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “A 1700s Corset UFO

  1. her first pair of stays is still wearable with some mild altering of the shoulder straps and then make a boned stomacher that will slip in where the front lacings are. Since most stays are meant to be adjustable, that pair from Corsets, is probably missing its stomacher. 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s