For the upcoming ball, hosted by my dancing company, I knew I wanted a new gown.
After several hours on Pinterest, looking through dossins of beautiful fashion plates, I finally decided on a style.
I used the left dress in this fashion plate as my inspiration.
Since time was sparce, I decided to use Simplicity 4055 instead of draping my own pattern.This may now be the pattern I made most garments from (my yellow regency gown, brown spencer/west, my sisters greecian goodes dress, and now this white evening gown).
I also had the perfect fabric in my stash. A white striped cotton voile, that started life as a pair of IKEA curtains.
I started by mocking-up the lining to get a foundation to build the rest of the dress.The neckline needed to be lowered a bit. It is after all a ball, and if there is ever a time to show some cleavage a ball must most definitely be it.
Then I cut the fashion fabric, making sure to get enough fabric into the front piece to get some nice gathering. I stitched the bodice together and basted it into the interlining before I gathered the front.
Then it was time for the next try on.
The bodice fitted pretty good, and the wrinkles at the back comes from my boyfriends pinning me into it (sch, don’t tell him), and not from the back being to small as you would think.
After finishing up the bodice, I attached the skirt making sure to put most of the gathers at the center back.
The sleeves are regular pouf sleeves with a row of gathering stitches in the middle to create a double pouf.
And once again I needed to get help being pinned into the dress (see why I will never say anything about less then perfect pinning…)
Since I didn’t had time to get hold of a long enough red ribbon to tie around the neck, crossed in back and under bust as in the fashion plate, I experimented wit a shorter red ribbon tied under bust.
I finished by attaching the sleeves, hemming the skirt and attaching the hook and eyes at center back.
I also decided to stitch on a ribbon under bust made from the same fabric – something I did at the location of the ball, just before getting dressed.
A pic from the ball of me wearing the dress, stylishly accessorized in burgundy and beads:
Just the Facts:
Challenge: nr 21 – Re-do. I choose to re-do challenge nr 9 – Black and White.
What: A white regency (year 1805) evening gown.
Pattern: I started with Simplicity 4055, but made quite a few changes to it.
Fabric: 3 m of white striped cotton voile from IKEA curtains. 0,5 m of white cotton for lining and interning.
Notions: Thread and 4 pair of hook and eyes.
How historical accurate: So so. The dress looks pretty good and the pattern are pretty authentic, but the construction are all modern with seing machine and bag lining. I would say about 6/10.
Time: I rushed the entire dress (starting only two nights before the ball) working the evenings after work, so I would say about 8 hours.
Cost: About 150 Sek (22 Usd)
First Worn: nov 8, to a Regency ball.
Final Thoughts: I really like it. The fit is good, and the dress looks both delicate and cool at the same time.
My only regret was not to have the time to make/buy the burgundy fabric/shawl that was to be draped across the shoulders and tied below the bust, as in the fashion plate.