By the time it came to start on the HSF challenge 15, The great Outdoors, I was pretty drain sewing wise. I knew that if I was going to compleat this year of cahllenges I needed to give myself a break and make something simple once in a while.
So I decided to make something I’ve been thinking about for a while – a regency spencer.
But then I realised that I only had scraps left of lovely brown coton vevet I’ve wanted to use. and I did like the idae of buying even more fabric.
So I re-calculated and decided to make a sleveless spencer instead. And while I was at it why not turn it in to a west compleatly.
I used the Simplicity 4055 as a guide to get the overal line right, since I wanted the west to go over the yellow dress I made from the same pattern.I made some changes, like added a dart and re-shaped the back.
Just the facts:
Challenge: 15, The great Outdoors.
What: a regency spencer/west
Pattern: I used Simplicity 4055 as a guide, but re-shaped it quite a bit..
Fabric: 0,4 m of brown cotton velvet and 0,4 m brown cotton for lining (both scraps left over from previous projects) and 0,4 m of cotton twill for interlining.
Notions: Thread, two buttons, 5 hooks and eyes.
How historical accurate: not much I fear – even though it is compleatly hand sewed. I havn’t found any sources on this kind of wests.
Time: about 8 hours.
Cost: Basicly free since everything was leftovers from previous projects but if I would have bought it now it would probably be about 150 Sek (22 Usd).
First worn: For photos in the middle of august.
Final thoughts: I’m not happy with the bust. It looks rediculus and I have no idea how to fix it. Perhaps gathering will be my only alternative after all.