Here in Sweden November’s been darker then usual and it seems we just broke the record for less hours of sun, counting only 2 hours of sun during the whole past month.
No wounder we all feel and look like living dead by now. (and Winter is coming…)
So today I decided it was time to get some costuming sun, by showing of my newest gown – inspired by fresh spring flowers…
Last year I bought this fabric from IKEA (hm, must be my, 5th dress, or something made by fabric/curtains/bed-sheets from that store).And a month ago I dug it out from my stash determent to make it into something 18th century.
Inspiration came straight away.
I used an old pattern and made some minor alterations like moving the shoulder seam, and remade the sleeve.
I tried the paper pattern on my dress-form to get a better look of how it would look.
Then I made and tried on the mock-up.
After some minor alteration I was ready to cut the fabric.
Since I didn’t had any deadline for this project, I decided to make the whole dress by hand.
I basted the lining to the interlining and stitched the bodice together for a try on.
After lowering the neckline a few cm, I put the bodice on my dress-form and started covering it with the fashion fabric.
The En Fourreau pleats was a bit tricky to get to lie smooth, but after once re-pinning I stitched everything down from the outside using back-stitches.
Then I set the sleeves, gathered and stitched on the skirt, cut the length and hemmed it. And finished of with some pleated trim and hook and eye for closure.
What: a 1780s robe Anglaise
Pattern: I drafted my own using a old self made pattern as a starting point..
Fabric: 1 white flowery printed cotton bed sheet from IKEA (approximately 3,5 x 1,5 m), 0,5 m regular white cotton for lining and 0,5 m heavy upholster fabric for interlining.
Notions: Thread, 11 pair of hook and eyes and 1,5 m of plastic boning.
Time: Since it is completely hand stitched the amount of time is much higher then my usual projects. I will take a educated guess at 25 hours counting low.
Cost: About 200 Sek (32 Usd). Everything from stash.
Final Thoughts: I’m not thrilled about it.
The back pleating looks a bit sad, and the en fourreau back is not one of my greatest accomplishments. I think I will have to re-make the entire back of the gown before wearing it for real.
I also think the front point should be longer and more pronounced, even if that’s something I can live with for now.
I do however like the shape and setting of the newly drafted sleeves. And the fabric of this gown just look so soft and beautiful.