Inspiring notions

While rumoring through the shelves of the sewing notion store, I had so many ideas of fabulous outfits running through my head.
It was a real challenge to hold back and separate what I needed (aka. wanted) and what I really needed.

Here are a few of the things I ‘m hoping to create using my latest findings:

The 1,5 m of black lace should be enough to make either a lace cap or a pair of lace cuffs for my planed morning ensemble.
IMG_5389Digital Capture

Lots and lots of pearl (faux) buttons, which of some will be used on my Aprils HSM item – The Lady Mary striped dress.

The withe pleated polyester ribbon is perfect for both the collar of a regency chemisett and a since 18-19 century cap.

10 m or so of this black pleated trim will decorate a 1885s “natural form” dress (someday…)

I will need lots of small metal buttons for my next medieval cotehardie.

And the bigger ones will do nicely on a militariy inspired spencer.
IMG_5398 empire2

I will need lots of lace to make my planed 16th century (and 17th century) outfits this year.
I mean: cuffs, collars, really big collars, chemises, dresses, glows e.ct. all need it in abundance.

Not the most thrilling item, but for a corded petticoat you need Lots of cord.
(On second thought I may just need to revisit the store once more before it closes to get some more).

There are no end to the things you can decorate with velvet trim.
But for now I plan to use it later in the year for the “Brown” challenge

I love the fun you can have decorating pieces with pompom ribbons. I’m thinking regency Pelisse or Spencer for the green one, and 1850s bolero and skirt for the blue.

And lastly, 12m of golden lace will be perfect for my planes on exploring the 17th century this year.

What would you make if you found the perfect trim?

Greek goodes Regency Dress

For the HSF challenge nr 20 – Parallel universe,  I decided to enter my sisters regency evening dress.
I’ve been planing her dress for quite some time, ever since I talked her into attending the autumn regency bal, but only started working on it just this other week.
 We looked at some inspiration together and decided to make something similar on this lovely paining.
The pattern I used was the regular Simplicity regency pattern (which I used for my yellow regency gown).
I needed to make it quite a lot smaller to fit my petite sister.
IMG_7083The fabric is a curtain I bought on sale last spring, which my sister called dibs on the moment she found it in my stash.
The sewing was pretty easy. I made the bodice and and stitched on the skirt.IMG_3284
Then I inserted the lining and hand tacked it down.
Then I put it on my dress form to make some sleeve-design decisions.
IMG_3275 IMG_3272
Red or white?
When looking at the dress like this, at the dress form I really hated it.
The fabric looked cheap and washed out, and the sleeves just looked ridiculous. But I decided to keep working, since I hoped the right trimmings and underwear would save the dress and give it some more shape and color.
So on to some more decisions…
White, ok – but long or short?
Short, ok, but should I decorate it? (and so on)
IMG_3280I cut some of the lenght of and started working on a trimming design for he sleeves.
IMG_3282Using some golden trim I dew a scalloped design which I transferred to the sleeves and stitched on.
Then I stitched on the sleeves, and cut the length of the skirt.
IMG_3288I hemmed both layers of fabric, stitched on hooks and eyes and finished of by attaching the whide golden leaf-shaped trim under bust.
The finished dress (and I forgot to take pictures of it on my dress form before giving it to my sister):
empirklänning 001
empirklänning 017
empirklänning 003 (1)
empirklänning 011
And at the photoshoot:
Just the Facts:
Challenge: 20 Paralell Universe
What: A Regency dress (approx year 1805). During the early 19th century ancient Greek aesthetics where all in vogue, and ladies wore sheer slim dresses to copie the gowns they saw in ancient pictures and statues.
Pattern: Simplicity 4055, with some alterations.
Fabric: 1 burgundy polyester curtain from Indiska (120 x 220 cm), 2 m of white polyester satin and 40 cm of white cotton.
Notions: Thread, 80 cm of wide gold trim, 2 m of narrow gold trim, 6 pair of hook and eyes, 30 cm of plastic boning.
How historical accurate: Not much. The pattern are pretty good, but the fabrics, trims and construction techniques are way to modern.
Time: About 10 hours
Cost: I would say about 350 Sek.
First Worn: This weekend for photos, but will be worn next weekend at a Regency Bal.
Final thoughts: I really like this dress (and think my sister feels the same), and the only thing I would change is to lengthen the front bodice a bit more to keep the under bust seam from riding up.