1880s & 1810s Photoshoot

Right before me and my sister went home after my dance recidal we took the time to do a quick litle photoshoot, and here are some of the pictures we took.

My sister wore the cherry blossom skirt combined with my suffragett shirtwaistIMG_9009









And I of course still wore my green regency gown.IMG_9037









19th century Day with Dance-recidal

It’s been more then a month since I attended the 19th century day “Vid pumpen” in my citys old town, but I haven’t got around to write about it until now. So sorry for the delay, but here it is now.

In the beginning of June (the day after the big multi historical picknic) I put on my Regency attire for a day in the 18th century.
I would ratter have worn something else from this century, but since I was to participate in the regency dance recidal I feelt it would be to much work to change. So I wore my green striped regency gown pared with turban, fichu and mittens.

We started the day with a course in historical dance. Then we moved on to attending a dress-class hold by the wounderful Sofia J (webpage), about the dress and layers of a fairly wealty 1815s lady.IMG_8885Love all the grabbing hands looking at seams and clousers of her dress.

Then it was time for our dance recidal.IMG_8914




IMG_8906Ankles showing! Oh my…


 Then we gattered at the square to do a quick “show and tell” of our costumes.IMG_8941

Here follows some pics of some of the costumes of the day.IMG_8965




IMG_8956Two dresses made by me from the same pattern.



IMG_9002My sister wearing her “Cherry Blossom” travel suit.



IMG_8929I love this picture!

Then we did some group shots.IMG_8972All the attendans att the “Vid Pumpen” 19th century day.

IMG_8987And just the dancers.

IMG_8989And one pic with me and the guys.
(If you didn’t notice in the dance pics – I was dancing the gentleman part for the day.)

Then the other participants headed of to dinner, while me and my sister went home to get some much deserved rest after two full days of historic costuming and dancing. (But we did take the time to do a litle photoshoot which I will post about next time).

A cheap 1850s petticoat

With the sewing steam already up and running there was no use to stop now. So I did a second entry to the HSF Challenge 13 – Under 10 Usd. I decided I needed a flounced pettiocat to wear over my new crinoline, and that was that.

I grabbed two cheap cotton/poyester blends sheets from the linnen cabit and got to work.

Using one as the base, and ripped the other one in four to create the flounce. I originaly planed to have three or at least two rows of flounces but I overestimated how much fabric whent into even one of those poppies.

Full speed ahead as I where I also forgot to take progress pics, but the construction was really simple. Just used straight pieces, sewed them togeter and gathered the waist. Popped on a hook and eye for clouser and that was that..









Pic from the photoshoot:IMG_9555

Just the facts:

Challenge: 13 – Under 10 Usd

What: a 1850s petticoat.

Pattern: None, just cut stripes and sewed.

Fabric: 2 cotton bed sheets.

Notions: Thread, 80 cm of twill tape, hook and eye.

How historical accurate: Exept for the use of sewing machine I think the accuracy is pretty good. The fabric, method and shape are all about right. 7/10

Time: 2 hours.

Cost: 65 Sek (10 Usd)

First worn: Around the house for photos.

Final thoughts: I wished I had had some more fabric to make two more rows of ruffels from, but then it would have been to exensive and wouldn’t have fitted the challenge. Anyhow I think it looks pretty good and works just fine.

Cheap 19th century Chemise

As I had my sewing steam up from the crinoline and bustle challenge, I decided to push on and start on the next HSF challenge as well. I had no previous plan for the nr 13. Under 10 Usd. When setting the sewing/HSF schedule for this year I figured it depended on what I was in the mood/need for at the moment.

And what I was in the mood for now was a 1850s chemise.IMG_9312I bought this pattern from a friend clearing her sewing bits, and emediatly knew it would fit the challenge.

The purpose of this challenge was to make something really cheap, and to take in account the cost of fabric and notions in the past.
The fabric I choose was an old cotton sheet bought from IKEA a while ago (6 Usd).

I forgot to take process pics of this chemise, but here it is sewn togeter and only missing the neckpiece. IMG_9413

The side gores was a bit un-nececary I think, but since I followed the pattern (more or les) they had to be there.IMG_9415

For decoration I used some of the vintage lace I bought a box ful of this winter.IMG_9416The two pieces of lace I picked may have cost me 0,5 Usd at the most.

Finished photos:IMG_9421














From the photoshoot:IMG_9466

Just the Facts:

Challenge: 13 – Under 10 Usd

What: A mid to late 19th century Chemise

Pattern: Simplicity 9769

Fabric: One cotton bedsheet.

Notions: 1,5 m of lace, thread and 2 smal buttons.

How historical Accurate: Pretty good. For 1850s not so much – machine sewn, but for 1880s (which I aslo will use it for) it’s perfectly legit. The pattern claims to be accuarte and the fabric are good too. So maybe 7/10.

Time: About 4 hours.

Cost: 10Usd or 65 Sek (100 Sek including the pattern)

First worn: Around the house for photos, but I know I will get good use out of it.

Final thoughts: It is so comfortable. I would have totaly have worn it to bed if my boyfriend hadn’t given me a quer look. 🙂