Yesterday I did my hair, make-up and put on my 1930s Christmas dress, for the photoshoot.
Photo: Maria Petersson
I was a bit skeptical and a bit worried about getting any nice photos, since I didn’t like the fit of the dress at all.
But as my sister (photographer) said – “You seam to have lots of fun in this dress – perhaps you like it after all…”
And looking at the pics I can only say yes, I think I do.
I’d planed to be finished with the 1930s Christmas dress by now, but life, work and karma apparently do not approve.
The good things:
I’ve cut the fabric for the dress and even though the plaid’s not perfectly matched I don’t mind as much as I thought I would.
The contrast between the darker plaid and the white satin for the sleeves looks great. I’m so pleased with this combination.
I have yet another week left until Christmas, and have all confidence I will finish in time.
The not so good things:
I must have had a black out while pattern drafting since I decided to skipp the waist darts and only use the side seams for waist shaping. You would thought 10 years of pattern making for my curvy body would have tought me something about proper fitting to my shapes. I’m currently busy shortening the bodice length and adding darts to both bodice and skirt.
Yet another blackout compelled me to rush through the making of the sleeves pattern and left me with cut out and sewn raglan sleeves fit for a 5 year old. Do it again and do it right.
My design decision to change the bow at the waist to a belt, turned out to be more trouble then anticipated. Since the only store in out town with good sewing notions recently closed, and I couldn’t find anything I liked to a reasonably price on the internet. Guess the bow will have to do. Perhaps I can ad a separate belt later.
Lets get back to the sewing machine…