As I had my sewing steam up from the crinoline and bustle challenge, I decided to push on and start on the next HSF challenge as well. I had no previous plan for the nr 13. Under 10 Usd. When setting the sewing/HSF schedule for this year I figured it depended on what I was in the mood/need for at the moment.
The purpose of this challenge was to make something really cheap, and to take in account the cost of fabric and notions in the past.
The fabric I choose was an old cotton sheet bought from IKEA a while ago (6 Usd).
For decoration I used some of the vintage lace I bought a box ful of this winter.The two pieces of lace I picked may have cost me 0,5 Usd at the most.
Just the Facts:
Challenge: 13 – Under 10 Usd
What: A mid to late 19th century Chemise
Pattern: Simplicity 9769
Fabric: One cotton bedsheet.
Notions: 1,5 m of lace, thread and 2 smal buttons.
How historical Accurate: Pretty good. For 1850s not so much – machine sewn, but for 1880s (which I aslo will use it for) it’s perfectly legit. The pattern claims to be accuarte and the fabric are good too. So maybe 7/10.
Time: About 4 hours.
Cost: 10Usd or 65 Sek (100 Sek including the pattern)
First worn: Around the house for photos, but I know I will get good use out of it.
Final thoughts: It is so comfortable. I would have totaly have worn it to bed if my boyfriend hadn’t given me a quer look. 🙂