With the sewing steam already up and running there was no use to stop now. So I did a second entry to the HSF Challenge 13 – Under 10 Usd. I decided I needed a flounced pettiocat to wear over my new crinoline, and that was that.
I grabbed two cheap cotton/poyester blends sheets from the linnen cabit and got to work.
Using one as the base, and ripped the other one in four to create the flounce. I originaly planed to have three or at least two rows of flounces but I overestimated how much fabric whent into even one of those poppies.
Full speed ahead as I where I also forgot to take progress pics, but the construction was really simple. Just used straight pieces, sewed them togeter and gathered the waist. Popped on a hook and eye for clouser and that was that..
Just the facts:
Challenge: 13 – Under 10 Usd
What: a 1850s petticoat.
Pattern: None, just cut stripes and sewed.
Fabric: 2 cotton bed sheets.
Notions: Thread, 80 cm of twill tape, hook and eye.
How historical accurate: Exept for the use of sewing machine I think the accuracy is pretty good. The fabric, method and shape are all about right. 7/10
Time: 2 hours.
Cost: 65 Sek (10 Usd)
First worn: Around the house for photos.
Final thoughts: I wished I had had some more fabric to make two more rows of ruffels from, but then it would have been to exensive and wouldn’t have fitted the challenge. Anyhow I think it looks pretty good and works just fine.
One thought on “A cheap 1850s petticoat”