As my entry for the HSF Challenge 23 Gratetude, I decided to make a 1840s bonnet.
This desicion was made based on multiple things: I wanted to make something I never done before in a tecnique I never tried, and keeping myself outside the comfort zone.
And I think the early Victorian headwear are both pretty, interesting and would provide a suitable challenge because of the millenery parts.
I also really need to make myself some 1840-1850s headwear to wear to an upcoming event.
This is what I whant to accomplish.
I found this great and informative blogpost on how to make a bonnet by Susan Biscoe. This post gave me the curage to give it a try.
So I started by draping a pattern.
I used the left-over velvet fabric of the Masquerade cape, and started to cut the multiple layers.
All the pieces cut out. From left to right: Velvet, cotton lining, interlining, intefacing and the pattern piece. (I later decided to only use one layers each of the interlining and interfacing).
Using a sick-sack stich to attach the wire to the pattern pieces.
I used a plier to bend the wire into shape.
The crown being attached.And the inside.
Sewing the velvet to the crown.
And finished with the trimings attached.
Just the facts:
Challenge: 23 – Gratetude
What: A 1840s bonnet
Pattern: I draped and drafted my own.
Fabric: 0,4 m of: brown cotton velvet, brown cotton lawn, heavy upholstery fabric and 0,2 m of golden satin.
Notions: Thread, heavy interfacing and steel wire.
How Historical Accurat: The shape is pretty good but the construction and sewing are modern, even though it is mostly hand sewn.
Time: 10 hours.
Cost: About 100 Sek (11 Usd)
First worn: Not yet, but will be on dec 16th for a 19th century Christmas party.
Thanks to: First of all I whant to thank the whole costuming comunity, and all the help and support you can find there. You are all great!
A special thanks goes to Leomoni of “the Dreamstress” who got me interested in historic costuming, and through the HSF made me inspired to continue to make historic clothes this past year.
Then I whant to thank Susan Briscoe for the great blogpost who made it look so simple (to make a bonnet) and thous gave me the currage to give it a try.
Last thoughts: I really loved making this bonnet and are already thinking about making an other one. Mabye I should venture deeper in to millenery…
One thought on “1840s bonnet (Gratetude)”
Sweetly made . . . .