1490s Borgia Dress – Photoshoot

A sunny day in the end of August my sister helped me photograph my new Italian “Borgia” dress
(Construction part 1, part 2, and headwear).
And here are the result:

img_05060

tumblr_lt0cgyMJUB1qiu1coo3_400Main inspiration

img_0485

img_0489

img_0491

img_0496

img_0524

img_0549

img_0585

img_0566

img_0575

img_0621

img_0623

img_0682

img_0684

img_0653

img_0632

img_0650

img_0666Photo: Maria Petersson

***

Behind the scenes

img_0536Just a Mama out on a walk…

14124103_10210170980372600_1854777594_oHugs and kisses

Advertisements

1490s Borgia dress – Construction

I’ve long wanted o make an early Italian Renaissance dress inspired by the series “The Borgias”

tumblr_lt0cgyMJUB1qiu1coo3_400Main inspiration

But it wasn’t until I remembered these two fabrics in my stash the design really took shape.20160719_085353_resizedA beautiful striped brocade I bought a whole bolt of for a steal about a year ago, and a dove grey/blue satin acquired on a fabric sale for about 5 Sek/m (it’, only 1,20 wide but for that price I could live whit that)

20150810_181826_resized Isn’t it gorgeous!

Playing around with the design I decided to use the design on the brocade for stripes and trim..img_9962Three different sizes of “trim”

once all the pieces was cut I started working on the skirt. I stitched the panels together, leaving the center back open. Then I pinned and basted two different kinds of brocade trim to the front and along the lower edge. img_9965 I also added some blue furniture band along the center front decoration.

Then I stitched the back shut and pleated the waist to the right measurement.

 14247814_10210265181367566_738240602_o 14164040_10210265181167561_851081547_o
The wide stripe looked a bit strange at the top, so I folded some of it under to create an adjustable pleat.

Then it was time for the sleeves.

img_9961Cutting the sleeves on the bias.

After some hesitation I decided to cut the sleeves into two pieces each and to make them tied on, like the ones in my inspiration. img_0300experimenting with trimimg_0342All the pieces of the sleeves ready for decoration.

Then it was time for the bodice.img_9588Drafting the pattern

I cut the pieces in blue satin with un-bleached cotton for lining and interlining which I basted to the satin after drawing on the boning channels. img_9968

I used plastic zip-ties for boning img_0148

14202793_10210265179247513_1883118307_oin and outside of the bodice

Before stitching it together I needed to figure out and ad the decoration.14191392_10210265185047658_269194987_oOne line of brocade pinned on.

14171877_10210265181127560_570766475_ndifferent ways of trimming the bodice

It was around this point I put it on the dressform to get a grip on the over all look.
14215695_10210265177087459_2004703130_oAnd unfortunately I hated it 😦