Once the dress was finished I got started on the accessories.
First up – the Partlet:
I decided right from the start that I would need something to ad a more “Historical” air to my costume, and what would better serve then a nice little shrug in a matching fabric (except some fabulous headgear – hold on, we will be getting to that – later).
Queen Elizabeth in a magnificent outfit, and what seems to be a blackworked partlet/shift.
I’ve one one of these pieces before a couple of years ago for my sister.Theater costume for the fictional play “The Tempest”
This time, like last time, I used the pattern from “The Tudor Tailor”.
This is not the pattern I used but, one I found during a quick google search.
I used the leftover golden brocade and cut the pieces.Unfortunately I didn’t manage to pattern match as good as I would have liked, but that something I can live with at this point.
The lining is made from regular white cotton and scraps of fake fur to get hat lux and cosy feeling I wanted.
Doing the whole thing using modern techniques I stitched the outer fabric and the lining together separately and then pinned them together all around.
In one long seam I stitched the whole thing together.
Sandwiching the ties at each lower corner.
Then I snipped all the curves to get them to lie flat.
I used an opening in the lining (which I left open when I stitched the lining together) to turn the whole thing right.
I finished by stitching the opening shut, adding a hook and eye at the lower front edge and pressing the partlet into a nice crisp shape.
What: An 16th century Partlet
Pattern: Drafted from “The Tudor Tailor”, even though you can use several of the free patterns available online.
Fabric & Notions: Scraps (2 pieces about 30 x 50 cm) of brocade and white cotton sheets, 3 pieces of fake fur (about 30 x 20 cm) and thread.
Time & Cost: This was a real quick and cheap project which took les then 2 hours and cost almost nothing (since I used scraps)
Final Thoughts: I really like the way it came out (even though I didn’t had the fabric to pattern match the front. I love making these quick and small pieces and are actually thinking of making more of them in lots of different color, fabrics and styles.