From the moment I put the Ariel gown on, I’ve been thinking about ways to alter it to make it more flatterning, tous make me like it more.
I very seldom re-work and alter my costumes. If there is some item I don’t like, I usaly just putt it in the bottom of the costuming box and forget about it.
But this time I figured I give the re-working a try. And after reading all the tips and encuragment from all of you, I decided I was definetly going to try to make it into a more lovable gown.
After some image searcing, for edwardian dresses, on the internet I came across this pic. It’s Camille Clifford in a white “pigeon bust” gown accessorized with black belt and hat.
I emmediately decided to try to re-style my Ariel gown into Camilles beautiful dress.
…To this.(the black line highlighting the low neckline is a later addition by who ever had the picture before me).
I realized at once I was not going to manadge the black colour fading on the skirt, simply because my fabric didn’t had the toning. Nor did it had the flowery design, and I did not had the time to cut and attach several hundreds of flowers to get the style completly right. Maybe that will be something to do later on, if I decides I like it this time around.
But on to what I could do.
Then I started to assemble it again.
I re-stiched the bodice to the skirt, rising the waist a bit in the process.
When the gown was finished it was time to start on the belt.
I then brought out all the pieces of black fabric I owned to decide wich one/ones to use. I decided on the plain cotton fabric (center top) for the foundation, and the cotton voile/cheese-cloth (top left) for the draping.
I handstitched the tucks down, and folded the exess fabric around to be covered in cotton lining.
And finishing of with some hooks and eyes at the front tabs.
What: Re-fashion of the edwardian “Ariel” gown into a new edwardian gown – “Camille”.
Fabric: Scraps of regular black cotton sheets (maybe a total of 30cm), and 30 cm black cotton voile.
Notions: 2x hooks and eyes, thread, 20 cm black bias tape, 1m of boning, 1,5 m black cord and 12 gromets.
Time: To long – ca 8 hours.
Cost: Maybe 20 Sek (3 Usd) worth of stash notions.
Result: I think it looks great (but so did “Ariel” on the dressform), I will have to wait and se how I feel about it until after the photoshoot next week.