“Ariel”, meet “Camille”

From the moment I put the Ariel gown on, I’ve been thinking about ways to alter it to make it more flatterning, tous make me like it more.

I very seldom re-work and alter my costumes. If there is some item I don’t like, I usaly just putt it in the bottom of the costuming box and forget about it.

But this time I figured I give the re-working a try. And after reading all the tips and encuragment from all of you, I decided I was definetly going to try to make it into a more lovable gown.

But how?

After some image searcing, for edwardian dresses, on the internet I came across this pic. Camille21 It’s Camille Clifford in a white “pigeon bust” gown accessorized with black belt and hat.

I emmediately decided to try to re-style my Ariel gown into Camilles beautiful dress.

So, I needed to go from this…b494ff618d0617fcfd3b9dc06ed0a0f5

…To this.b17-1(the black line highlighting the low neckline is a later addition by who ever had the picture before me).

I realized at once I was not going to manadge the black colour fading on the skirt, simply because my fabric didn’t had the toning. Nor did it had the flowery design, and I did not had the time to cut and attach several hundreds of flowers to get the style completly right. Maybe that will be something to do later on, if I decides I like it this time around.

But on to what I could do.

I started by ripping my gown appart, separated the bodice and skirt. IMG_7108

Ripped out and re-cut the sleeves to get rid of some of that high pouf I prevously had. IMG_7115

And getting rid of the cuffs. IMG_7106

Then I started to assemble it again.

Attaching a black self made bias tape to the collar, to mimick the high sharp collar of Camilles gown. IMG_7187

Then I got on to the sleeves. Gattering the sleeve head, and changing the design of the sleeve-end from cuff to rusching.IMG_7181

I re-stiched the bodice to the skirt, rising the waist a bit in the process.

I also experemented a bit with the flowers from the previous design. IMG_7105 Making them smaler and pinning them to the sleeves, bodice and skirt. But decided to pospone that project to the future.

The finished dress:IMG_7230

IMG_7227

IMG_7233

IMG_7234

When the gown was finished it was time to start on the belt.

I did not had a pattern to use, so I decided to make my own. IMG_7122

IMG_7123 IMG_7124

IMG_7125

I then brought out all the pieces of black fabric I owned to decide wich one/ones to use. IMG_7113 I decided on the plain cotton fabric (center top) for the foundation, and the cotton voile/cheese-cloth (top left) for the draping.

I cut the foundation pieces and basted on a second layer as interlining. IMG_7137

Marked and stiched the boning chanels, and inserted the boning. IMG_7208

Then I started on the draping.IMG_7209Pinnig the cotton voile on the bias to the foundation piece while attached to the dressform.

Then I cut of the exess fabric and pinned the tucks in place. IMG_7214

I handstitched the tucks down, and folded the exess fabric around to be covered in cotton lining.

IMG_7218 IMG_7219

Then I set the gromets (something that caused more trouble then usual due to thick fabric).IMG_7220

And finishing of with some hooks and eyes at the front tabs.

IMG_7222 IMG_7223

I really like how the curve of the belt looks in this picture.IMG_7225

Finished:IMG_7238

IMG_7253

IMG_7235

IMG_7262

IMG_7247

IMG_7254

IMG_7258

IMG_7242

IMG_7241

IMG_7244

IMG_7260

IMG_7252

Facts re-making:

What:  Re-fashion of the edwardian “Ariel” gown into a new edwardian gown – “Camille”.

Fabric: Scraps of regular black cotton sheets (maybe a total of 30cm), and 30 cm black cotton voile.

Notions: 2x hooks and eyes, thread, 20 cm black bias tape, 1m of boning, 1,5 m black cord and 12 gromets.

Time: To long – ca 8 hours.

Cost: Maybe 20 Sek (3 Usd) worth of stash notions.

Result: I think it looks great (but so did  “Ariel” on the dressform), I will have to wait and se how I feel about it until after the photoshoot next week.

 

Advertisements

6 thoughts on ““Ariel”, meet “Camille”

  1. Admittedly, I always get a bit nervous when finished sewing is ripped apart. But the result is really, really gorgeous. I also love the Swiss waist. 🙂 Was it hard to make the pattern?

    • I used to be nervous about that too, but after ripping appart dussins and dussins of wedding gowns I kind of lost my respect for it ;-).
      The pattern was pretty easy. I just drew a shape I liked on paper, pinned it to my corseted dressform and adjusted the lines until I was happy about the look.

      • Wedding dresses sound like a real challenge to take apart. 🙂 And maybe I will try to make my own pattern for a waist, too, for the one challenge in November that calls for an Edwardian skirt. 😉 But I’m still pretty new to patternmaking and your skills at it are a real inspiration. 🙂 Keep it up.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s