The item for challenge 4 of the HSF14 was quite simle to decide – Looking at my intended “sewing list” where a 1900s evening gown is the next big thing, I of course needed the proper undergarmnents.
Since this is a new era for me (I’ve done 1980s and 1910s, but they are not at all the same) I needed to start from the bottom. So a corset it is.
Looking through the internet for inspiration I really liked this one.
And amongst my patterns I found the 1901s corset from Nora Waughs “Corset and Crinolines”.
My original thought was to make the corset in ivory cotton sateen, but when searching my stash I discovered it was all gone (I’ve already used it all on a couple of other corsets). And the only other strong ivory colored fabric I had was a rough unbleached cottonblend. So on to the fabric store I went, finding this nice striped cotton upholstery fabric instead.
I had wished to make this a quick and dirty stash busting prject, but found I already had had to many of those lately – thous leaving my stash of notions almost empty (sigh). So I also needed to buy gromets, lacing cord, suspender grips and plastic boning (the planchett and decorational lace thankfully already in stash).
I originaly started this project 9 months ago till the HSF13 “White” challenge – before I realised I had other more pressing costuming needs.
So the pattern and the toile was already prepeared. And since I had absolutly no idea of the measurments I used making the mock-up, I just tried it on.
And as could be expected, it didn’t fit at all.
So I took out a total of about 10cm on the size, and added some lenght to make the front bottom smother. The rest of the fitting isues will be corrected once made up in a sturdier fabric and properly boned (I hope).
After the adjusments had been done, I cut the fabric, linning and interlining. Using as litle fabric as I posibly could.
Then I started to sew it togehter, begining with the narrow side pieces.
And continuing on to the busk…
Realising to late I’ve put the gromets to far appart.I tried to fix it by putting some extra gromets at the waist (as in 1880s corsets).
Then I sewed the pieces together and made the boning chanels, using self made bias tape, and sewed them on.
When all the boning was inserted I sewed and trimmed down the top and bottom of the corset, prepeared it for the biastape.
Then I stiched on the pretty lace (which I picked from my “Lace box“).
Just the facts:
Challenge: 4 – Under it all.
What: a 1900s S-shaped corset.
Pattern: Nora Whaugh’s 1901s corset from “Corset and Crinolines”.
Fabric: 0,5 of striped cotton upholstery fabric (50Sek), 0,4 m of nougat cotton lawn for lining and 0,5 m ivory cotton satten (used on bed-bolsers) both from stash.
Notions: Thread (stash), 32cm Busk (80Sek), 20 gromets (35Sek), 4m of lacing cord (50 Sek), 2 m of ivory biastape (stash), 5m selfmade biastape for boning chanels (stash), 5m plastic cable ties for boning (30sek), 2m steel boning (stash), 1 m lace (stash), 0,5 m elastics (stash) and 2 suspender-grips (50Sek).
How historical accurate: The fabric and pattern are all good. But the plastic boning and the construction tecninques are modern. so maybe 6/10.
Time: About 12 hours.
Cost: Money spent: 275 Sek (42Usd). Actual cost (including stash worth): about 400 Sek (61Usd).
First worn: For photograps 1 mars. But hopefully on some suffraget events and some summer picknics.
Final Thoughs: I’m pretty happy with it, but I think I will need to add some stuffing at the bum to get a more pronounced S-shape.
4 thoughts on “1900s S-shaped Underwear”
Amazing! I love the subtle colours in the striped fabric you chose, and I love your “lace box”.
although wasnt an easy task …but u did it very well . done well