This is my first entry to the HSF14, and I submit it as a “Light Entry” for the 1th challenge: Make-do/Mend.
Ive been so pre-ockupied with all my other sewing and work and moving recently, so there has really not been any time left to fix those litle things thats been bugging me about some of my costumes. But now I finaly got the time (at relatives on chrismas) to finish the re-modeling of my 18th century flowery jacket. You can reed more about the original jacket here.
I loved this jacket ever since I made it 2 years ago, even now when I lernt a bit more about historic clothes it’s still one of my favourite items. But latley the fit of it have been bugging me.
It’s a bit long in the back and the gromets really need to be covered with thread.
And this challenge gave me the motovation I needed to finaly get it done.
Since there’s not much interesting going on in the sewing I forgot (read: decided not to) take any process photos. But I did snap one with my phone on christmas-eve when working on the eyelets.
Just the Facts:
Challenge: nr 1 – Make-do/Mend. (Light Entry)
What: Fixing some issues on a 18th Century Jacket.
Pattern: None this time (originaly from Baumgarthers “Costume Close-up”)
Notions: Sewing thread and ivory buttonhole thread.
How Historical Accurate: Not much. Re-modeling and re-fitting of clothes was common practice, but since gromets didn’t even existed back then I’d say 3/10.
Time: 3 Hours
Cost: 30 Sek (2Usd)
First Worn: Hopfully this summer for picknicks and plays.
Final Thoughts: The back of the jacket, do look very short on my dessform. But I decided that’s because she is somehow lening forvard, and I have a realy straight posture, which causes my back to look shorten then it realy is.