With the Bal a la Turque just one week away I finally decided what to sew – Nothing!
I will not make a thing, I will however do some alterations on a previous costume and add some new accessories.
When looking at the inspirational pics I really liked the flowing, layer on layer type of look, but also the more stylished robe a la Turque. Then I realized I had just the dress – made only three months ago.
My striped Zone front Anglaise.
A couple of quick sketches later I knew exactly what I wanted to do, and started on the alterations:
Beginning by shortening the sleeves.Cutting and hemming at a flattering new lenght.
Then I made a pattern for the extra under sleeves, cut them in a white leftover linen I found in my stash.
Then I stitched them together and hemmed the wrists.
And basted them to the armhole.
Then it was time for the ruffle.
I drew a circle on a paper, And cut it out in double cotton voile from stash.
I gathered the edge and stitched it to a bias strip.
And finally I basted the ruffle to the neckline, and trimmed it down using pinking sheers.
The new Robe a la Turque:
I love how the makeover turned out.
I think both the ruffle and the new style of sleeves make it look really good, and helps enhance the pretty crispness of the white on the stripes.
But the dress alone don’t make a “Turque” – It’s all about the accessories…
I decided to change the original white petticoat, in favor for the recently shortened golden one to give the outfit more color.
I used the sash from my white 1900s Ariel dress and tied it around the skirt at hip level, securing it with safety pins. To mimic the mandtory white Turque sash.
And of course I also needed a belt, which I bought in a thrift shop not long ago.
And not to forget some shawls and jewelry.
The finished outfit styled and ready:
Over all I think I came up with a pretty nice looking (sort of) Robe a la Turque, using only stash fabrics and old pieces.
Now its of to the bal…