“Jane” A Regency Daydress – Construction Part 2

The second part of “Romantic Recollections” Regency challenge was to add embroidery to the piece I just made.
But since I’m a total beginner at embroidery I decided to not risk my new gown but instead make a reticule to decorate.

My inspiration

For the design I turned to my book about 18th century Embroidery. 

I used a design element from a original pair of stays but changed the style from metalwork to silk embroidery.   My design sketch based on the drawing from the book.

It took me two nights but once the embroidery was complete I pressed them to circles of stiff fusible interlining.  Then I stitched the bag from a long strip of satin, gathered it to the circles. The lining was made a lot smaller and in regular cotton sheeting. I made a channel at the top and added ribbons for straps.  Although the bag turned out nice, the proportions are all wrong, and it’s way to big. So after I took some pictures of it, I took it in quite a bit to make it better.

***

To finish the look (from Janet Arnolds book) I also needed something I’ve been planing to make, but never taken the time for before – a Chemisette.

So now was the time 🙂

Using the pattern diagram and pictures from Arnolds Book I quickly cut and stitched the chemisette.  This pic is from Bradfields “Costume close-up”

The thing that had me thinking the most was the “Mushroom-pleated” collar, something I knew I would not be able to do with my cotton lawn and limited time. So i opted for a simple gathering to the neckband instead.

I cut the three layers of Ruches in different lengths, and pinked the hems.

The Finished Chemisette:   And the collar “Puffed”:   Worn with the dress: 

Advertisements

Steampunk accessories

I’ve been chipping away at lots of different costuming stuff lately.
But the things most outside my usual sewing zone, are the pieces I’ve made for my up-coming steampunk outfit.

IMG_7059A clock I bought on sale this spring.

 I’ve been loking through lots and lots of pictures on the internet and there are som much incredable talent out there. I can only wish to somedsay be able to create something as beautiful.

Anyhow, here are the items I did make for this costume.

I had this cheap bag who I wanted to turn into something steampunkish.IMG_7058

Using this inspirational picture I got to work.steampunk_bag_by_krammelnira-d5qazu1

IMG_0111Gatering my materials.

Since I didn’t had any leater in my stsh I decided to paint the wheel on my bag using golden craft-paint.IMG_0113Then I glued some gears on it using my regualar fabric glue.

Finished:IMG_0127

IMG_0134

IMG_0132

IMG_0131

IMG_0129

***

My next project was to get that super cool looking steampunk gun.steampunk_nerf_gun_by_fencesmakegoodnebors-d324it0No, not this one – this is my inspiration.

Following some tips on the internet I had bought a cheap water gun. IMG_7056The materials used.

I started by sanding the intire gun down.
IMG_0106 IMG_0107after.

Then I sprayed it with copper craft paint, making sure it was compleatly covered.IMG_0109Letting it dry over night.

Then I painted it with my gold, silver and brown paint, and glued on some gears to make it even more steampunk looking.

IMG_0125

Finished:IMG_0138

IMG_0135

IMG_0139

IMG_0140

IMG_0137

 

Well, not perfect, but two quick, simple project that will do a lot to enhance the look of my outfit.