The second part of “Romantic Recollections” Regency challenge was to add embroidery to the piece I just made.
But since I’m a total beginner at embroidery I decided to not risk my new gown but instead make a reticule to decorate.
For the design I turned to my book about 18th century Embroidery.
I used a design element from a original pair of stays but changed the style from metalwork to silk embroidery. My design sketch based on the drawing from the book.
It took me two nights but once the embroidery was complete I pressed them to circles of stiff fusible interlining. Then I stitched the bag from a long strip of satin, gathered it to the circles. The lining was made a lot smaller and in regular cotton sheeting. I made a channel at the top and added ribbons for straps. Although the bag turned out nice, the proportions are all wrong, and it’s way to big. So after I took some pictures of it, I took it in quite a bit to make it better.
To finish the look (from Janet Arnolds book) I also needed something I’ve been planing to make, but never taken the time for before – a Chemisette.
So now was the time 🙂
Using the pattern diagram and pictures from Arnolds Book I quickly cut and stitched the chemisette. This pic is from Bradfields “Costume close-up”
The thing that had me thinking the most was the “Mushroom-pleated” collar, something I knew I would not be able to do with my cotton lawn and limited time. So i opted for a simple gathering to the neckband instead.
I cut the three layers of Ruches in different lengths, and pinked the hems.