When the 9th challenge of this years HSM was announced, I knew I wanted to make something early 1900 cenury/Edwardian.
Here are some beautiful examples of how well the color Brwn works with the styles of hundred years ago:
I’m currently in some kind of early 1900s mood, preparing for an up-coming event this weekend.
So I thought it would be great to tell you a bit about one of the book I own on this period.
Everyday fashions 1909-1920 – As pictured in Sears Catalogs by Joanne Otan.
Like my 1910s underbust long line corset.
I also want to recreate on of these petticoats and bust ruffles one day.
All the diferent kinds of dresses in this book was great inspiration and help to me, when making my 1913s walking dress.
I also really like the childrens sections of the book.
Guess this did’t turned out qute like a real review. I couldn’t even give you any cons :-).
Anyhow, I do really love this book, and thinks everyone intersting in early 20th century fashion should buy it.
It is such a good inspiration and gives such a clear visual of the transistion in fashion between edwardian curves and the new 20s flair.
It’s a great book to own and to use as reference for what people realy wore at the time, for anyone who loves historical fashion. And it’s part of a series – so you can collect them all.
I had some difficulties figuring out what to make for the HSF Challenge 14 – Eastern Influences. I didn’t want to start a too big project, being so busy with the Titanic dresses at this time.
After much hesitation and changing my mind I finally decided to use the 1,5 m of light pistage-colored organdy already waiting in the stash. It is covered in a geometrical pattern in the shape of 4cm big grecian keys. So perfect for the challenge. But I’m not much of a print person, and feared that the geometrical pattern would be too obvious, too silly or just simply destroy whatever I made from it.
Ok, fears aside – what exactly was I going to make with it (that wouldn’t look costumy or silly)?
I had not enough fabric for a regency-dress, and the fabric was not suitable for anything heavy like a round skirt or a stiff bodice. What to do?
The answer fell on me when searching the internet for inspiration for another project.
A Titanic era evening-gown. It seemed perfect, and already being totally emgrossed by the early 20th century I didn’t hesitate.
I quickly made some sketches and played around a bit with the fabric on my dressform to get the basic shapes and cuts figured out.
Then I started drafting the pattern. I wanted a cross-over bodice with a short kimono-sleeve attached to a draped skirt. The bodice was a bit tricky and I decided to try the paper pattern on my dressform before cutting a toile. That impuls saved me making a useless mock-up.
I tried but could not get the pattern and the dressform to co-operate, so I scratched the paper pattern and instead draped a bodice on the form. So much better.
I then did the mock-up, tried it on and pinned all the necessary alterations. (It is not easy trying and fitting a back-closed mock-up by your self).
Since the organdy is so sheer I needed to make some foundation underneat – both for modesty and to get the right support and shape. I used the the same white skirt as for my late Titanic dress, and drafted a strapless dress-bodice to attach the organdy-bodice on.
Then it was time to cut the fabric. I sewed the foundation bodice and tried it on, then I stitched the organdy and draped the skirt on the dressform.
Everything went together fine and I just needed to make some minor alterations on the waist and shoulders. I tried the dress on and really liked it, but felt like something was missing.
I rummaged around a bit for a suitable waist-sash, but neither white nor pistage seemed right. Then I found the vine colored sash for my sisters Titanic-rose dress, and it was perfect. So I used whatever leftovers I had and made another dark red sash.
The finished dress.
And the dress being worn.
Just the facts:
Challenge 14: Eastern Influences.
What: A 1912 evening dress.
Pattern: None, I draped my own.
Fabric: 1,5 m polyester organdy, 0,3 m white cotton voile and 0,5 m white cotton sheets for lining and interlining the bodice. And 0,2 m vine colored viscose for the sash.
Notions: Thread, plastic boning, hooks and eyes and snaps.
Historical accuracy: There are way too much polyester in it to be any good. But I think the look and the overall feel of the dress is right. And according to Arnold they did use foundation-bodices beneath sheer and slippery fabrics. Maybe 6/10.
Time: 15 hours (made it in a two days speedrush).
Cost: 100 SEK (11 Euro).
First worn: On the photoshoot July 5.