I also needed something on my head to go with my new “Borgia” dress.
So I decided to make a simple headband (kind of a stripped down french hood) with a hair net to hide my hair, or lack thereof.
For the construction I used ” A Damsel in this Dress” great tutorial on hoods.
I finished the headband by stitching the hairnet to the cresent and adding wig snaps to the inside to keep it on my head.
Just the facts:
Challenge: Nr 5/2016 Holes
What: a 1490s Italian headwear – Cresent with hairnet.
Pattern: I made my own.
Fabric/notions: Thread, Scraps of striped brocade, cotton, buckram, lace ribbon, velvet ribbon, some pearls and about 60 cm of millinery wire. And of course a hairnet.
How historical accurate: Not sure., Since I didn’t really did any research for this one, but just wanted a pretty headress to go with my dress (Sorry). maybe 3/10.
Time: Most of it are hand made, so I guestimate about 2-3 hours.
Cost: Slim to none since it all was scraps, but lets say 50 Sek (8 Usd) for everything (including the hairnet*).
First worn: Late august for photos, and a few days later on he yearly Medieval fair.
Final thoughts: I think it looks pretty and works well with the dress. It does also do the job of (togheter with some lose hair ringlets) hiding my own short hair.
*Gott’a love Ebay 🙂