Last fall when I took a break from sewing I also quit he HSM mid run.
But now it’s time to jump on the bandwagon (halfway through) again.
I have been sewing a few things that would fit the previous challenges this year (read all about them here) but lets start with July (since that the first one I managed o finish within the time frame of he month).
The theme for this HSM 2016 nr 7 was Monochrome, and I was eager to test my hand at some historic baby clothes.
Using my newly bought book “The Tudor Child” for the patterns for basic baby gear.
The Pattern for the shirt is fairly simple.
I cut the fabric in my favorite cotton/linen blend, and started by hemming the piece as stated in the instructions.
The folding pattern for the shirt.
Then I whip-stitched the hemmed edges together.
Once the shirt was finished (it all went surprisingly fast considering I did it all by hand with a sleeping/feeding/squirming newborn in my arms) I moved on to the biggin/hat.
The pieces cut from the same cotton/linen blend.
Hemmed pieces. I decided to ad ties to help keep the bigging on my baby’s head.
I did a slight miscalculation drafting the pattern making the center piece to long. Ops…
But really, it was just to cut it of.
I also realized I messed up stitching the shirt.
The center is supposed to be open to get easy access for the baby, and since they are supposed to be swaddled (Yeah, No, that’s not going to happen with my baby) the opening would be completely covered in other fabric. so in the end I think this way was better for me.
The Challenge: Nr 7 2016 – Monochrome
What: A shirt and bigging/hat for a newborn baby.
Year: About 1500-1600
Material: 0,5 m Linen/cotton blend.
Pattern: baby swaddling Shirt and Bigging from “The Tudor Child”.
How historically accurate is it? Pretty good. The pattern and sewing methods are good (except the mistake of stitching the shirt front closed). The fabric should be linen, but since I have difficulty finding a soft linen I think the 50/50 cotton blend I use are quite legit. About 8/10
Hours to complete: 4 (3 for the shirt and 1 for the bigging)
First worn: Beginning August for photos. Was meant to be worn late August for a Medieval fair, but I’m not sure anymore (see “Final thoughts”)
Total cost: 50 Sek (8 Usd)
Final Thoughts: It was really fun making these pieces. They came together so fats and the fabric was a joy working with. Unfortunately the Shirt ended up way to small for my fast growing baby – well guess I just have to make another one…
7 thoughts on “Monochrome Medieval baby undies”
How lovely!! Well done!
Do you recommend “The Tudor Child”?!
Yes, I think it is great.
I did expected it to include a bit more about pregnancy and infant wear, but that was my own mistake since they didn’t have special clothing for that back then.
Otherwise it’s just as good as “The Tudor Tailor” with lots of information, patterns and styles.
Ah, I thought so – I have “The Tudor Tailor” in my collection and very much appriciate it! 😉 So thanks for your answer!!!
What a sweet baby. I wish there was not a line through the eyes in the one picture, though.
I put that line there intentionally, since I’m a bit hesitant of showing him of on the internet….
Beautiful baby, clever mama, and great sewing! You are a triple threat, or rather a triple treat.
He he, Thank you! 😀