Well, as I haven’t been able to sew all the things I’d liked this month, I will continue to posts about the HSF-challenges finished earlier this year. And as soon as I manadge to find the time to make something new (and to photograph it) I vill share it whit you.
For the HSF challenge nr 6 – Stripes, back in mars I knew that I wanted to make a regency dress. Having recently finished my first attempt at this kind of dress for a customer in december, and was itching to give it an other try.
I already had the pattern since before: Reconstructing History- lady’s regency gown, but I hated it. Everything was wrong with it. The pieces didn’t fit togheter, and the gathering was just ridiculously massive. It gave me a serius head-ake trying too figuring it out the first time.
Then I re-cutt the pattern to make a lot more sence. I made a mock-up and did some final adjustments to the pattern.
Then I found the perfect fabric super cheap in my new favourite fabric store.
It is a pistage-green striped really thin cotton weave. I also got a darker green linnen, cream colored lace and a plastic row of pearls for the decoration.
The sewing went fast and easy and after only one day of sewing I could try it on to check the lenght and back closure.
Then I hemed it, and hand stiched on the lace and beads.
Just the facts:
Challenge nr 6 – Stripes
What: A simple mint green Regency dress
Fabric: 3,5 m of soft and thin cotton fabric (almost like voile).
Pattern: “Reconstructing History” nr 838. Not a pattern I would recommend for a beginner. I had to change and alter almost every pattern piece. (I think it would have been both faster and easier to make a new one from scratch).
Year: About 1800 – 1810
Notions: Green contrast fabric, 5 pearl buttons for closure, thread, 2 m of lace and 3m of pearl-ribbon.
How accurate: Mostly made by machine, and with modern pattern reconstruction and sewing method. So except for the silhouette and the “look” of the dress – not accurate at all I’m afraid.
Hours: About 16 (with lots of handstitching on the decor).
Cost: About 30 USD
First worn: On Gods friday when we had the photoshoot.