For the HSF challenge 6 – Farytale, I’ve been working on an Edwardian dress for “The litle mermaid” Ariel. (If you wonder how the heck that works, take a look at my previous post.)
The girl on the left is my main inspiration.
As usual, I started with the draping of the pattern. I pinned the fabric to my dressform (on top of the corset and brassiere) and draped a tight fitting lining.
Then cut and made a quick mock-up. First I tried on the lining.
And then I pinned on the draping outer layer.
After some minor changes to the pattern, I cut all the pieces. Using a striped cotton voile (same as for my “Chemise a la Reine“) for the bodice, sleeves and skirt. And a dotted polyester organdy for the neck insertion, and decoration.
I cut the skirt as two lenghts of fabric, sewed them together and pleated the wasit to the right measurments.
I made the pin-tucks from a long piece of the organdy, only cuting the front insertion when the piece was finished.
I interlined the bodice and stitched it togehter, then I put it on to determen the placing of the pin-tucked front piece.
And pinned the front draping fabric to the waist.
It does look pretty good ( the skirt and leeve ae just pined on at this stage).
But I do have some minor problems at the back and side, which fortanly can both be fixed by shortening the waist a few cm.
Then it was time to stich on the front piece, collar, sleeves and skirt. Putt in the hooks and eyes, and finishing the whole thing of with some flowers.
Just the Facts:
Challenge: 6 – Farytale
What: An Edwardian (1901s) gown for “The little Mermaid”.
Pattern: Drafted my own, using a picture for reference.
Fabric: 3m of striped white cotton voile, 0,5 m of white dotted polyester organza and 0,5 m regular white cotton sheets for interlining.
Notions: Thread, hooks and eyes and about 80 cm syntetic whalebone.
How historical accurate: Not much, the cotton content is ok, and the colour would suffice for a “nice dress”. But I don’t think I quite got the shape/look right.
Time: About 10 hours – on and of for two weeks.
Cost: About 100Sek (16Usd), everything from stash (bought on sale about a year ago).
First worn: 30th of mars, for the “farytale” photoshoot.
Final thoughts: Sadly I did’t enjoy making this dress.
I was way to tired after work, and to occupied on weekends, to take the time to do the dress right.
Instead I forced myself to make some “baby-step” progress on it for about two weeks, and then pulling myself up and stressing like crazy to get it finished before the photoshoot on sunday 30s.
All that stress would have been worth it, if I at least would have liked the dress.
But No, when I putt it on for the first time (at the photoshoot) I really hated it.
I feelt fat, ugly and ridicoulus in it, and was more then a bit ashamed to go outside for the photo session.
But now, when I’ve been going through the pictures we took, I think I do like it a bit more.
Because I can tell you – we got some awsome looking photos, which I’m dying to show you. (As soon as I can get this damn blog to stop deciding over my picture sizes).