HSM 7/2017 – Fashion Plate
I knew from the start this challenge would be an easy one (or hard, depending on how you see it), cause I often use pictures and extant garment as my inspiration. The only trouble was to pick which one to make.
But since my sister needed a new 1860s outfit for an upcoming event and I already had this pic saved on my ” wish to make someday” list, The choice turned out easier then expected.
Fashion plate from 1862
Close-up on the outfit I planed to make.
I also looked at some extant garments for additional inspiration and style choices. Then I got to work.
Using two beige cotton sheets from IKEA.
I started by cutting the skirt and used the same method and calculations as my latest 1860s dress, stitching the skirt together. This time it went a lot faster, since I already had the measurements and the technique down.
Once it was stitched and hemmed (after quick fitting) I added a singel row of braid around the bottom. Even though my insoiration din’t have one, I really liked the way t looked, and how it connected with the decoration to be made on the jacket.
Then it was time for the jacket.
After some quick research and studying of pattern-diagrams and extant jackets on the internet I drafted my own pattern from my usual modern templates.
Then I stitched it together, inserted the double sleeves, added lining and begun working on the trimming.
I used the same furniture braid as on the skirt combined with a brown pom-pom trim also from my stash.
Even though they weren’t a perfect match color-wise the effect was really nice.
A quick pic of the just “finished” outfit on the floor. Now all that was needed was some pressing and the right accessories.
Just the facts:
Challenge: Nr 7 2017 – Fashion plate
“Make an outfit inspired by a fashion plate […]”
What: A 1860s Walking ensamble – Skirt and Zouvare Jacket)
Pattern: None – I drafted my own based on pictures and pattern drafts from the time.
Fabric & Notions: 2 beige cotton sheets (150 x 200cm/each), thread, hook and eye for skirt closure, 6 m of tapestry braid and 2 m of pom-pom trim.
How historical accurate: So so – The look and the pattern are good, but the fabric is way to thin and should have been either a thin wool or a heavier cotton. Also it’s stretching it a bit time wise by saying they used sewing-machines at this time, so thats another “wrong”. Maybe 7/10
Time: About 10 hours. more then half of which went into hemming and trimming by hand.
Cost: About 150-200 Sek (all trim was in my stash from a notions clear-out a few years ago)
First worn: On June 10 for “The day of the Big Crinolines”.
Final thoughts: I think it turned out pretty good. My sister looked like she had fun wearing it and the whole outfit came together really well.
2 thoughts on “1865s Kaki Walking suit (HSM 7/2017)”
Oooooh! It’s fabulous! I love the jacket looks incredible! I hope you post pictures of your sister wearing it soon!!
Thank you! You bett there is pictures 😉