And here comes the final part of the making of my new 17th century bodice. (Part 1 & 2)
Once the outer fabric, lining and sleeves where set it was time to deal with the tabs.
(Every stay makers dread)
I started by cutting them open and then I pinned the three layers together, and basted
I ran into some problems when turning the front edges under, and no matter what I did they came out awfulThis is seriously my third re-do, and unfortunately the best of my tries.
I had no idea how to fix i and the problem caused me to loose steam (and love) for the project.
After some nights to cool of and think, I figured to just hide it.
So I went trough my stash and found some lovely golden lace, to see if that would do the trick.
In the end I decided not to use the lace, even though I still think it looks stunning (maybe something for a later date).
Once I excepted the less then perfect front, it was time to start covering the tabs.
I used red cotton bias-tape cut to a smaller size.
Starting to look like something….
But a lot of work remained.
The last thing to do on the bodice was to make all the lacing holes.I use pins to mark the distance before I use my chalk-pen
Practice makes perfect.
Ok, not yet perfect but pretty decent looking eyelets if I may say so myself.
Then the only thing left to do was to try it on a last time… Crap…
Yup, that’s the sad truth – the bodice I to small, and not “If I lace a bit harder it might work” to small, but “There is no way in hell I can close this sucker” to small.
Luckily my inspiration painting’s only shows the back of the bodice, so hypothetical there is a chance the girls wear a open laced bodice over a stomacher – far fetched I know, but at his point there was no way I would redo it or try to ad to the sides. And logically they must have size shifting back then too, right?
So I will make a stomacher for this bodice before the next wearing, but for now I’m considering it done.
Just the facts:
Challenge: nr 6/HSM15 – Out of your comfort zone
What: A 1660s bodice
How it fit the challenge: This is my first venture into 17th century, and even though I made both bodices and stays before the way this garment combines the two was a new experience for me.
Pattern: “1660s bodice lining” from Waugh’s “Corset and Crinolines”, with some alterations.
Fabric: 1,5 m red polyester “silk”, 1,5m white cotton/linen blend for lining and 1 m un-bleached sturdy linen for interning and foundation.
Notions: Thread, button-hole thread, 15m plastic whalebone for boning, 5m cord for lacing, 60cm white bias-tape for edging the sleeves and 3 m red bias-tape for binding the tabs.
How historical accurate: So so, the bodice is made 50% on machine with all the outside seams made by hand. The fabric is modern but the shape and look of the garment is good for the time period. About 7/10
Time: A lot! probably about 60 hours – I worked on this for most of the summer.
Cost: About 300Sek (45Usd)
First worn: At old town beginning of August for photos, and I’m thinking on using it next weekend for a “all times” dance recital.
Final Thoughts: I’m so happy with the look and feel of it. My only concern is the size – Why do I keep making things to small? And no, I have not gained weight – I’m just constantly over estimate my “squeeze factor”, and underestimate the difference boning and extra fabric layers make to the size.
And if it ever is to be worn again I might have to redo the front, or just slap some trim over it…
10 thoughts on ““Sew 17th century Challenge” – The Bodice (part 3 – Finishing)”
Really interesting to see your working process. Thanks a lot for sharing! Beautiful work!
Men åh vad fint!! Och jag som trodde att jag inte gillade 1600-tals kläder, det stämmer ju då rakt inte.. Livet är verkligen ett mäktigt plagg! Spännande att se allt tillsammans sen 🙂
He he, tack☺
Jag kände likadant förut men ju mer jag gräver desto mer gillar jag det.
Wow, it’s GORGEOUS!
It’s gorgeous and I’m impressed with your eyelets. I just wrote about my new 18th cent jacket and how I avoided making eyelets all together because I just didn’t have the patience, so I heartily commend your efforts!!!
He he Thanks!
I find eyelets both tedius and scary
(And hesitaded for a long time to pick up the awl for this project), but I almost always find it worth it.☺
Well you rock!
He he thanks 😀