The next thing to tackle after the skirt was the body linens, or the smock.
(Actually the next thing I made was the bodice, but since that would be considered the “head piece” I’m keeping the suspense by holding on to it a bit longer).
The only thing you see of the smock in the picture is the folded-up sleeve.However, after some looking through books for patterns, I decided to not make a new smock for this costume after all.
reason 1: All patterns showed long sleeves – which for me would be a bit to bulky to fold like in the picture.
(since I accidentally made my the bodice sleeves above elbow length, ops.)
reason 2: I already have several chemises and smocks (Yeah I know – “You can never have to many chemises…” But I honestly just wanted to finish this outfit at that time).
reason 3: I found the perfect alternative – loose linen cuffs – Perfect!
Using no patterns but looking at Janet Arnolds “Pattern of Fashion” for reference,I cut and stitched a pair of linen cuffs, later to be basted onto the bodice sleeves.
The construction method was so simple there is no reason to get into detail, so here they are:Pared with the sleeve
What: A pair of separate cuffs
Fabric & Notions: 20 cm of ivory linen and thread.
Time & Cost: 0,5 hour (completely hand sewn) and about 20 Sek.