I’ve been set on trying my hand at 1920s fashion since the last challenge, nr 24 “All that Glitters”, was announced.
The skirt are cut like a circular one, but using a square instead of a circle.
I originally planed to level the skirt and to hem it to be circular, but once cut I liked the square hem better.
I pinned the dress together and put it on my dressform to get a view of how it would look
– And it looked hideous.
It was around here I really started to look for a dress to buy and wear at new years…
I finished of by shortening the sleeves a bit, cutting and hemming the skirt and making a belt out of some left over velvet.
Just the Facts:
Challenge: nr 24 – All that Glitters
What: a 1920s evening dress (sort of a Robe de Style)
Pattern: I drafted my own.
Fabric: 2,5 m black velvet, 2 m silver printed black tulle and scraps of black cotton for facing.
Notions: Thread, zipper, 2 hook and eyes and fusible interfacing for the belt.
How historical accurate: I’m not sure, but even though the fitted bodice are un-characteristic for the 1920s the style did exist. The construction methods are modern and the silvery tulle are also to modern. Conclution, maybe 4/10.
Time: About 10 hours
Cost: About 300 Sek (48 Usd) but I only spent about half since most of the fabric came from stash.
First worn: on dec 22 for photos. I planed to wear it for new years eve but I’ve changed my mind in the past few days.
Final thoughts: I actually like it much better now that it is finished, and I will deferentially wear it if I ever get invited to a 1920s themed party.