“Long petticoats to hide the feet,
Silk hose with clocks of scarlet ;
A load of perfume, sick’ning sweet,
Bought of PARISIAN VARLET.”
From Female Fashions for 1799 by Mary Darby Robinson
This summer, when venturing trough the local fabric store, I couldn’t resist buying this beautiful flowery satin fabric. It just screamed at me from the sales corner, and begged me to make it into a robe a la Francaise – so I bought it all.
And since the this weeks HSF challenge nr 19) is “Poetry”, I figured I’ll start working on it.
I started with the petticoat (since I just needed something simple to occupie my hands and thoughts from work).
Sitting in the sofa, watching old series, I managed to finish it in a couple of nights. But just as I was about to put it away as finished, I noticed the huge amount of fabric at the center front.That didn’t look quite right.
And after some additional image searching I knew I needed to rework the pleating to get a neater appearance under neath the dress.
So I ripped the waistband of, re-pleated the skirt and stitched it back on.
Unfortunately I forgot to take proper, and detailed, finishing photos of the skirt before storing it. But I did get a quick photoshoot.
The finished Skirt:
Challenge: 18, Poetry in motion
Poem: Parts of Female Fashions for 1799 by Mary Darby Robinson.
What: a 18th century skirt/petticoat.
Pattern: None, just cut two lengths of fabric and fiddled with he pleats until it looked okay.
Fabric: 1,3 m of flowery polyester satin (yes I now, but it was Sooo pretty).
Notions: Thread and 2 m of cotton ribbon for tying at the waist.
How historical accurate: So so, the material are totally wrong, but it is all hand stitched and I think the look of it are pretty okay.
Time: About 8 hours, including the readjusting of the pleats.
Cost: 100 Sek (16 Usd).
First worn: around the house for photos.