This spring/summer have been quite intense regarding sewing for me. And as every costume requires it’s own special headwear I haven’t just been making clothes this spring – there have been quite a lot millenery going on as well.
And since The Huge Picture Hatt alredy got its own post, I thought it was time to show a bit more about some of the other pieces of headwear I’ve been doing/re-doing this summer.
Lets start with the 18th century Bergere.
You might remember it from last year (when I made it from an regular sunhat).
This is how it looked when I found it in my big hat box, and decided to make some changes to it.
So I un-picked those green pieces of fabric inside the hat (I put them in last year to get something to attach the hair pins in, but it does work better to just push them through the hat).
Then I stitched on some metalic wire at the edge of the brim, and covered it with white bias-tape.
Then I re-trimmed it with a plain green twill-tape.
And this is how it looked when I wore it with the brim tured up, at the big historic picknic.
Next up is a regular straw hat that I’ve turned into a regency bonnet.
I folded the hat in two, made a mark where to cut,
and grabbed the scissors. Make sure to stich the rows down before you cut, so the hat dont un-ravel.
Then I stiched on metal wire along the cut line, and covered it with bias tape.I used white bias tape at first , but decided to change it to a nude tone twill tape instead, to make it more inviseble.
Close up of brown/nude twilltape.
The un-trimmed hat.
Then I pinned on some white lace and a big flower brosh I had in my stash.
Altough it does look pretty, it looks a bit too costumey for my taste.
So I re-trimmed it using another piece of lace and some leftover ribbon from my yellow regency gown paired with a black brosch. Much better.
And here is how it looked worn togeter with my yellow regency dress.
And finaly a 1840s bonnet made from skratch.
I used the same pattern (and tecniques) as my brown velvet bonnet, only cut it a bit smaler to get a slimer model for this bonnet.
I used thick canvas and super stiff interfacing as the inner layers. And a white striped cotton voile for fashion fabric.
Before sewing anything togeter I stiched wire to all the pieces.
It was a bit tricky to sew inside the hat piece.
At least I only broke one needle…
Then it was time to start the hand sewing. I attached the “lid” and covered it with fashion fabric.Then I stiched on the brim and more fashion fabric (no pictures sorry). And finaly I attached the lining on the inside.
At this stage I was ready to throw it out, it looked so terrible. The fabric was puckering and nothing I did would make it lay flat. I did a final try and decided to trim it to see if that would make it look any better.
It is fantastic what some pieces of lace can do to a domed project. It does actually look presentable.
An this is how it looked this weekend when I wore it for a photoshoot.(You even get a sneak a peak of my next HSF project)