When deciding what to wear to the “Titanic exhibithion” I looked through a lot of pictures and patterns from the 1910-1912 period. Then I found this one.
The dress has a bit more of a 1913 style to it, but nothing to apparent.
The fabric for the dress is a green striped wool that’s been in my stash for a couple of years.
I also used withe cotton voile left over from the “Chemise a Lamballe”
The only thing that needed to be bought was the buttons, so it was a pretty cheap project. Even though buttons can be terribly expensive, and more often than not you will need a lot of them.
I drafted the pattern myself, using Waughs “Cut of Wlomens Clothes” as a guide to the general shape.
It wasn’t until I already begun sewing that I realised two things.
1. This dress would fit perfectly to the HSF challege 1. – ..13 (make anything from the year ..13) which is the only challenge so far that I missed out on. To my defense I didn’t know about the HSF until the second challenge had already started. Better late then never right.
2. This dress was beginning to look a bit too much as my “By the sea” 30s dress. The silhouette, the color combination with the big white details, I even used the same fabric for the collars. Well, all the fabric was already cut – there was no use not to continue. And besides, I really did like that 30s dress.
Getting the dress together went fast but I did have to reshape the collar a bit smaller – something I discovered after I had sewn it on. So I unpicked the seam and re-cut the front tabs to end a bit higher in the neck opening, and then sewed it back on.
And then I tryed it on.
For the opening in the front of the dress I decided to make a separate skirt in the same white voile that I used for the collar and cufs. So I re-used the skirt pattern for the dress and cut a high waisted slim skirt.
So here it is, my contribution to the HSF Challenge 1 – A 1913 dress – I’m only one year late for the Titanic.
And being worn.
Just the facts:
Challenge 1. year ..13.
What: A 1913s daydress.
Fabric: 2,5 m of green wool, and 2 m of white cotton voile.
Pattern: I drafted my own, based on Waugh’s “Cut of Womens Clothes”.
Notion: Thread, interlining, buttons (5 big and 14 small ones) and snaps.
Historical accuracy: I used modern sewing and drafting techniques, but the fabric and the over all look of the garmnent are about right.
Cost: 200 SEK total (half the amount now, and the rest for stash fabric).
Hour: about 15 hour
First worn: On the Titanic exhibition on the 6th of July, and the following photoshoot.