One of the things I got the most compliments on wearing the new 1825s outfit was the crazy as hair I sported.
Since I don’t have a lot of hair on my own – modern everyday style beats once in a while historical hair-possibility’s, I needed to do something drastic to disguise the modern me for the upcoming historical ball.
My first thought was to use my “go to” solution – A turban.
It’s easy, cute, comfortable and perfectly accurate for the time period.
But then I would need some fake curls for the bangs…
..and those 1820-30s hair are pretty fun and crazy…
..Maybe… I could…what if I…Hm, this flower wreath looks cute…and this braid is almost a perfect match for my hair…
And then I was caught.
I searched my bookshelf, my bins of hair-accessorize and the box of neatly rolled spool of fake hair I’d cut from a wig a few years back and never used.
Collecting the material.
After reading through “The laced Angels” blogpost about her 1830s hairdo I felt confident enough to give it a try.
I started by cutting apart one plastic “doughnut” (the kind ballet dancers/gymnasts use, which suddenly got really popular a few years back)
Then I separated a few of the curled pieces of fake hairand twisted them around the doughnut/crescent, adding glue where needed.To make it sit more secure on my short hair I added two wig clasps to the ends of the piece.
Then I cut the black elastic from a hairband-braid, and glued it together to form a circle.Not a nice joint, but it will be covered by other things later so I’m not overly concerned about it.
I Braided a few of the other pieces of fake hair,and put together a the rest into two clusters of curls for the bangs.All the pieces lain out roughly the way the’r suppose to sit on the head.
Here’s my first try at putting it on:
Starting with a back combing of my own bangs, and a brown hairnet, to keep all the short hairs from acting up.
Then I pinned/clipped the crescent on top of my head.
I added the two curly bits to the front/side of my face
and put the two braids on to cover the edge of the cresent.
Finally I added a wreath of purple plastic flowers
As you can see, I definitely needed to do something about the back of my head. Something I fixed by re-arranging the hanging braid and adding a white flower over loops of pearls stitched to the back of my the thick braid.
A few days before the event I dyed my hair a bit darker red to match the hairpieces.
Blending together much better now.
Here’s a few pic from the photoshoot: