Continuing on the 1860s green silk bonnet:
To get my bonnet to look like my inspiration it needed a bit more work (part 1 – making the bonnet)
To make it go from this to this…
For the trimmings I cut stripes of “whatever left of the silk” and gathered them by hand to get a nice and “poufy” trim.
I also made a few flowers using scraps of the fabric. These are so easy to make and takes really no time at all.
I only wish I had more fabric to make more.
I then pinned the trimmings to the bonnet and stitched them on by hand, one by one until I was satisfied
(or ratter until I run out of scraps to turn into trim…).The first trims pinned on.
What: A 1860s bonnet
Pattern: Lynn McMasters “1860s civil war bonnet”
Fabric: 60 cm of green silk taffeta, 30 cm of green cotton for lining.
Cost: 350 Sek
Time: A lot – about 30 hours.
Final Thoughts: I think it came out really pretty, with enough decoration to look right for the period yet being pleasing in my modern styizied eyes.
I can’t wait o wear it.
6 thoughts on “1860s silk bonnet (part 2) – decoration”
Just beautiful. I’m always in awe of your work 🙂
How absolutely beautiful! I love the color and the trimming. You did a great job.
I’m very happy with it 🙂
It looks so pretty, I think it’s amazing that you made this hat! I can’t wait to see it with the full outfit, I bet it will look stunning. ❤
bonita of Lavender & Twill
Yeah I’m pretty stunned myself (if that’s not to narcissistic) – I really love how it came out:-)