Iv’e been sewing a lot lately, crossing several new and a few old projects of my list.
One of those “old” projects was the “Sport- Anglaise” which I’ve started in January. Then in Mars I gave you an update, and last week I managed to finish and photograph it properly.
I stated, when first starting this project – I will only sew, while my boyfriend watches sport on our Television.
Well that didn’t last very long…
I had way to much to do during the spring, and there was no way I could set aside all the other projects just because there was some game playing in the other room.
But to my defense this year I’ve endured both an Olympics and a World Championchip in football, so I’m pretty sure the dress would have been finished long ago if I’d stucked to the plan.
Anyhow, lets take a look at my final construction notes and finished pictures:
Where I left of last time I had just cut the fabric and begun to put he bodice together.I basted the side and shoulder seams. Stitched the three back seams down, doing small back stitches from the outside.The back stitched down.
Then I laced on my corset, and pinned the bodice shut for a try on.
As you can see it is a bit snug at the waist, causing the fabric to buckle under the pressure. But otherwise the fit was fine.
So let the side seams out a bit at the waist to get a smooth line.
Then I stitched the lining to the front and back piece.
And put in the sleevesI stitched them right sides together under arm and, from the top over the shoulder. Attaching the shoulder strap along the way.
And carefully pining the lining into place.
I put boning in the center back and front seams to help reduce wrinkles.
And stitched on hooks and thread bars for closure.
This is all that left of my 2,5 m fabric once the dress was complete.Thank goodness I didn’t need to make any bigger changes to it.
The Finished dress pared with the golden skirt:
(lots of photos, feel free to scroll down)
And a mirror selfie of me dressed for the photoshoot:
Pattern: None, I draped my own.
Fabric: 2,5 m of printed cotton, 0,5 m brown cotton for lining and 0,5 m thick canvas for interlining.
Notions: Thread, hooks and eyes, 0,6 m plastic boning for the front and some small pieces of ribbon for the “bustle effect”.
Time: I would guesstimate about 20 hours, but I started it in January (working on it only while my boyfriend watched some kind of sport on Tv) so I can’t be sure.
Cost: About 100 Sek (16 Usd) since the fabric was on sale.
Final thoughts: I really like this dress. I think it looks lovely and make me feel good wearing it. I’m already dreaming of going to a 18th century masked ball dressed in this gown and posing as “Autumn”.
Although looking at the pictures of me wearing it, I notice the huge amount of wrinkles occurring at the under arm/bust era, and at the back waist. I think I will have to go back and re-check the fit.
4 thoughts on “The Sport Anglaise finishing up”
Ooooooh…this turned out so beautifully and I LOVE the colors you chose!! Very well done!!
I do love some nice fall colors.