I’ve been working non stop on my opera gown for the 1880s bal (I know I said this many times before), and once the trained bodice was finished I could finaly start on the skirt.
After some thinking I decided I would need a good and strong foundation to hold all the fabric madnes on this skirt. So I decided to make a straight skirt out of a cotton sheet, which would serve as both lining and interlining for the tucks and pleats.
The next thing was to separate the different elements of the skirt into smaler sections.
The part in the middle seams like it have been boxpleated at the top and bottom and then left lose, giving it a bit of a over-hang. And since I would avoid any extra bulk at the waist, I decided to start the pleating a bit farther down the skirt.
What: A 1880s bustle skirt (to be worn with the 1880s evening bodice).
Pattern: None – draped my own.
Fabric: 4m of dark pistage green cotton sateen, and 2m cotton bedsheet for interlining.
Notions: Thread, strong thread for gathering, hook and eye.
Time: 10 hours (the pleating and gathering took forever).
Cost: 300 Sek (45Usd).
Things I would Change: I would have liked the diagonal draping to have started a bit higher and been a bit wider, also for the back draping to be a bit fuller. This was not an option though, since I used up every sckrap of fabric as it was. Perhaps I also should have made the entire skirt a bit slimmer.
Final thoughts: I’m happy with it, but feel it would be difficult to wear combined with a train-les bodice, since the back of the skirt is a bit of a rushjob. But overall the skirt looks nice.
(And finaly (you have all been so patient): I will show you pics from the bal in my next post)