Since I won’t have anything new to show you until after the weekend, I figured I do a “Throwback Thursday” post, and show you one of my past projects.
This was one of those project with a steep learning curve, but which you will always think about with pride and a smile (before you remember the colossal amount of work and bad words uttered during the process of making it).
It all started when I offered to sew my youngest sisters prom dress.
– Let’s just start by saying that the senior proms in out town are HUGE.
Each year the couples attending the prom start practicing the Waltz in January. Then do so every weekend, until the prom in May/June, where they all (dressed to their teeth) perform a one hour, extremely complicated dance routine in front of thousands of people.
I think it’s needles to say that the dresses are extremely important during this day.
So in february I meet with my sister to discuss the dress design. She showed me her inspiration pic and told me what she wanted.Her original inspiration – The red dress from Tim Burtons “Alice in Wonderland”.
I drew some sketches for our next meetingThe idea was to make the dress in two layers, with a floor length under layer in tulle (which of course would have to be detachable to make a short dress), and a sheer shorter upper layer with ruffles and ribbons.
In mars my sister traveled the 3 hours ride to the capital (where I lived at the moment) to fit the mock-up.
It looks kind of ludicrous in these pictures, and the color is just awful, but I wanted to test the length of the upper layer, the curve of the lacing and of course the usual bust, waist, hip fit. Which actually were pretty good.
We also decided on the fabric.The gown was to be turquoise with the skirt tapering to black at the bottom, and a sheer dotted black over layer.I loved the effect of the black dots on top of the turquoise.
I used a zipper at the side to make the dress fit perfectly, without disturbing the back lacing.
I also used a heavy duty zipper as shoulder strap.
I used a black satin ribbon for laces.
Then it was time to start attaching the tulle.
I only had about 40 m or so of black and turquoise tulle to attach. phew…Starting at the top,working downwards adding more and more black to the layers.