Experimenting with (modern) baby clothes

As I stated way back in January, this year will be filled with jersey and snaps (in stead of ball gowns and corsets).

I promise I won’t bore you with it all, but for this one post, showing my first batch of baby clothes for my newborn child.

Lets just start by stating that – Buying nice baby fabric is hard!
Especially if you don’t want “blue cars” or “pink princesses”, but still would like some color in your kids wardrobe.
Although I live how a small amount of fabric (like 1 m) basically gives you a whole set of clothes, including body, pants, romper and hat.

After some frustration in the beginning, I did find some nice fabrics in a “not to obvious gender specific” print/color.
IMG_9712Some of the sourced fabrics. Aren’t they cute 🙂

Alongside the fabrics I also bought a few basic patterns, which I would use as a base and the alter for size and style as I grew more comfortable working with stretch fabric and baby sizing.IMG_9745Bodice taken in to make for a smaller size.

Al of these pieces are first tries at the pattern, so a lot of strange sizing is going on which I will have to fix until next time. I find it really strange how different pattern company’s make a standard baby size 56 in totally different size/proportions.

Anyway – this is what I’ve made (so far)

A simple hatIMG_9737

3 bodys (using 2 different patterns)IMG_9830

IMG_9915
20160714_103238_resized

2 rompers (and a third one on its way)IMG_9833

IMG_9713

3 pair of pants20160714_103251_resized

IMG_9740

IMG_9741

Speaking of different proportions to the same size…
IMG_9743 IMG_9744

And a jacket/sweatshirtIMG_9732IMG_9735

And here are proof that, at least one (so far) of the pieces, fits my baby boy.20160713_155916_resizedHe is 5 weeks by now (OMG!)

It’s so fast and rewarding to make these clothes.
I mean one body in an hour, and pants and hats even less, how could that not be fun.

Whaling sharks – Baby clothes

While still on the theme, I also want to show you the cute little pieces I made as a Christmas gift for our friends 6 months old son.

I just couldn’t resist this fabric.IMG_4783

Which I turned into a pair of pants…IMG_4778

IMG_4776

And another romper.IMG_4780This time I included the little foot pieces.

IMG_4787

IMG_4782 IMG_4784

I think I might get the hang of it by now, since it went so much easier this time around.IMG_4788

Now I’m done whit baby posts (for this time…), and will go back to focusing on historical stuff.

Learning to make Baby Clothes

As I told you in my last post I now have a legit reason to indulge in all the prettiness that is baby clothes.

I bought this pattern about 5 years ago – the first time it looked to be an addition to the family.
And it’s been unopened and forgotten since.IMG_9229But this summer (after the happy news) I dug it out again.

I ‘ve never done baby clothes before, and are quite a newbie at sewing in yersey.
So the decision to leap onto the kids clothes train was a bit of a scary one.IMG_9228 I decided to start with a bodice for the little girl (yeah, pick the most difficult thing you cold find, why don’t you…).

I bought a super cute gender neutral fabric in grey and red, some red knit, white stretch bias tape and snaps.IMG_9231

Then I got to work.

IMG_9250It’s crazy how small amount of fabric you need for these kind of clothes. Compared to my usual sewing that easily swallow 5 m of fabric

I found a twin needle in my stash, and stitched a few test rows before getting the tension right.IMG_9233 IMG_9234

Using the patterns step by step guide (perhaps for the first time), I basted the small reinforcements of the shoulders.IMG_9235

And stitched the reinforcements in the crotch.IMG_9236

Then I turned the seams over, finished the crotch with a twin seam and stitched the bodice pieces together.IMG_9237

Then I set the snaps.IMG_9241They where not very cooperative, and I had to pray a few mistakes lose and try again.

I had some trouble deciding on the size for the ankle cuffs. Since the pattern called for whole foot pieces I couldn’t get any help from there.IMG_9238After some hesitation I decided on the bigger ones – better to big then to small.

I finished the bodice by trimming around the neck and armholes with the red bias tape.

Finished:IMG_9242

IMG_9243

IMG_9249

IMG_9244

IMG_9247

From the leftovers I made a quick little hat.  IMG_4773

Pattern: Burda Kids 9636

Fabric: 0,5 m of cotton yersey.

Notions: Thread, 7 snaps (front and back), 60 cm of bias tape and about 10 cm of red knit.

Time: 2 hours from drafting the pattern to finished.

Cost: about 100 sek – How knew that baby fabric and notions would be so expensive… I’ve made whole dresses for less.

Final thoughts: I’t was really fun to create such a quick and cute pieces. I liked it so much I immediately made another one (in about half the time) for a friends newborn son.