When my sister told me she was going to a big halloween party last year, we immediately sat down to decide on what to make. Since the time was tight we both decided to re-make one of her old costumes.
Since I’ve haven’t gotten around to write about the “old” costume yet, I will start there and then show you the alterations we did for halloween 2012.
2010 I took a class in costume design, and was asked to design and make a costume to fit one of the caracters in Shakespeares “The Tempest”.
Being a sucker for beautyful renessance gowns, I choose the one female character in the play – Miranda, the daughter of the king, who’s been living on a deserted island until a prince comes and rescues her.
My caracter design
All items were to be made in theatrical fashion – super easy to both get on and of.
So I made the open skirt with the forepart as one.
And the bodice with the big sleeves sewed on, and a opening in the back next to the lacing which closed with snaps.
I also made a partlet, a bumroll, a belt and a french hood.
Then me and my sister whent outside and took some photos.
Then, two years later, we dugg the dress out from it’s box and got to work.
This time it was going to be transformed to something fit a young queen Elizabeth I.
First we needed to lenghten the bodice (to get a better fit), and then we made the skirt and bodice connect by sewing on hooks and eyes.
I also made a simple ruff to wear around the neck, and put some pictures of King Henry IIIV and Anne Boleyn in a amulet.
This time we din’t have the time to take good pictures but I still managed to snap a few shoots of the ensamble.