When I had finished the Corset Cover for the HSFs 5th challenge – Bodice, I decided to make yet another entrance.
I’ve been thinking of making an Edwardian Brassiere for quite some time, thinking they look both funny and nice at the same time. And being sure it would help give that strange S-bend shape and pigeon bust of the early 20th century, I decided now was the time.
Since I didn’t had any pattern I decided to drape one one my dressform.
In the end I decided to get rid of the front dart, taking out the width in the side seams instead.
Just The Facts:
Challenge: 5 – Bodice
What: A 1900s Brassiere.
Pattern: I draped my own.
Fabric: 0,5m cotton beed-sheet.
Notions: Thread, 3 m self made biastape, 7 buttons and 5m syntetic whalebone.
Historical accuracy: It’s okay. The “pigeon”shape is not as dominant as it should be, but other than that it does look the part.
Time: 4 hours
Cost: About 100Sek (16Usd)
First worn: Not yet, (but I’m currently working on a dress ment to go over it…)
Final thoughts: I’m already thinking about going back and rework it a bit – shortening the sides 1-2 cm and making the whole thing a tad bigger, to get a better fit. Other then that, I think it looks really nice and I love that it went together so easy.