Mother of the bride

About a month ago I decided to help make a dress for my boyfriends work college. Her daughter was getting married and she did´t had the time to order one from the bridal store.

So I agreed to help.

All she wanted was a simple black dress with a boat cowl neck and a small sleeve, and a short jacket to mach.

I made some sketches, took her measurements and made a toile.

It fitted pretty dreadful, and needed a lots of alterations.

2013-07-18-19.33.342013-07-18-19.34.04

I needed to take the dress in quite a lot, and adjust the back length and darts. The front and shoulders also needed altering.

2013-07-18-19.48.512013-07-18-19.49.21

The Jacket needed to be lengthen in font and taken in by bigger bust and back darts. The shoulders also needed to be dropped a bit to fit nicely.

I would have made a second mock-up but there was simply no time since I needed to go to Stockholm for work in three days time.

We decided to make the dress from a black polyester taffeta and the jacket from a light pink polyester/silk taffeta. The combination looked really nice.

I started to cut the fabric within an hour from the fitting and basted and sewed all the rest of the evening and the next day.

Then we had a second fitting, which went much better. I only needed to make some minor adjustments.

On the next evening she tried it on, and happily brought it home.

2013-07-21-20.16.142013-07-21-20.16.25

I haven´t heard anything yet, but I´m hoping that everything went well and that she (and her family and friends) really liked it.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s